Fence stain - options

Have a major re-staining project.

I know that 'spray-able' treatments have become popular ........ be interested in the views of those that have used them.

Fence is a 4x1 swan treated - staggered panel design ... i.e. 4x1 on neighbours side offset over the gap on my side. So roller application not practical.

All wood was pressure treated and Frame is 4x2, bolted into concrete H posts .......... solid, no rot, but in need of a re-stain.

Previous I painted with solvent based treatment by brush as panels were constructed.... takes an awful long time about 300 linear feet ... that makes around 6000 sq ft to paint.

Are the spray coatings any good ?

Many of the reviews complain about clogging & expensive specific (& limited choice) stains

Last piece of fence that went up I used Wickes waterbased 'wax-enriched' stain .... and certainly not fared as well as the fence done with solvent based.

Welcome advice on product ..

Wickes Wax Enriched timber care Cuprinol Ducks back Ronseal one coat fence life

Reply to
rick

I am "covering" previously treated ~orange fence panels with Ronseal "one coat" green. It seems to require 5 bloody coats to cover it - be warned :(

Bob Mannix

Reply to
mannixbob

Reply to
rick

FWIW, I've recently sprayed 20m of new 6'x6' panels both sides with creocot e using a six-quid pump-up garden sprayer from Tesco. I thought the spraye r might not like creocote but it worked fine and lasted until halfway throu gh the second side of the last panel at which point the plunger snapped off .

We have another fence that the previous owner painted with one of those wre tched sprayable waxy finishes and it looks crap: peeling, resistant to clea ning, resistant to any new covering. I'm resigned to watching it slowly ro t away.

Reply to
mike