Fence spraying

I'm looking into the idea of using a sprayer to put oil (diluted with turps) on my fences. Not having a compressor, I'm interested in the idea of an airless (electric) sprayer. The local hardware chain sells a small tool, Wagner Power Sprayer 70 watt, for NZ $90, i.e. 43 quid. I wonder if this is too cheap to be worth it.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I have one of those that I use to spray white paint on my fence (once I've removed it from the road). Don't spray gritty stuff like some undercoats as it will wear out the plunger rapidly. I don't like the combination of an electric sprayer with turps from a fire and choking fumes point of view but I suppose it might be OK outside. How about a $10 garden sprayer that you pump up?

Reply to
Matty F

I think ignition is probably not such an issue outside (although it might turn into a flame-thrower). I need to explore garden sprayers - thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Gib Bogle saying something like:

If it's the type with a low-pressure blower built on, it's actually pretty good.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

paraffin or diesel are less flammable and cheaper than turps. Slower drying too, but it soaks in so not a significant issue. Best to do more than just this for preservation though, although oil helps its not a total solution.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks, an excellent suggestion. The timber is all H3 (external use) treated, except for the posts, which are H4 (in the ground use).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

About to test the $10 option, when the weather (and work) permit. I can see one fly in the ointment - unless one takes scrupulous care, the little orifices, pump etc. could easily get all gummed up. Need to do good flushing with turps after use.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The $10 hand-pumped sprayer works very well. As I expected, there is a bit of an issue, using it for the second time, with bits of hardened oil getting stuck in the jets in the nozzle. It's not easy to clean all the oil out when you're finished (I just spray straight turps for a while), and fragments of semi-dry stuff tend to find their to the nozzle the next time it's used. Once you know why it isn't spraying properly it's an easy enough job to clear the nozzle. I'm using diesel to dilute the oil - much cheaper than turps.

Reply to
Gib Bogle