Fence Posts and perpendicularity

't landlord has given the go ahead to spend some of his (not) hard earned dosh for me to replace a section of really decrepit old fence.

Going to put 4 9ft concrete posts in for 3 6ft x 6ft panels sitting on concrete gravel boards using postfix in the holes.

Question is, is it better to put the gravels in-between the posts to give a good start for vertical and then support the free sides or Just use the gravels to give a proper distance between and then remove before supporting all round as they set.

I'll be using me level (natch) and I want to get this spot on so I can arrange for further enhancement to the property at his expense when he sees I made a good job. Thus far he's shelled out for double glazing, new back door and a few other simple enhancements that I have installed and is happy enough to pay out if I do the work.

There is only one way to install a post and panel fence correctly and that is to start with your first post (obviously) and place it in the hole without concrete, apply the gravel board and the timber panel getting them level etc and the posts upright, and only then concrete the first post in. Put the second post up to gravel and wooden panels *tightly* and insert the panels for the next section before concreting in post number 2.

At the end of all posts and panel installation, put a half brick and concrete under the panels where they meet the posts, otherwise the earth will sink and take the panels with it.

Reply to
Phil L