Fence panel

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have a tarmac drive, with a garage at the top of it. I wanted to put a six foot fence panel to block my neighbour's view of my door. One end can be attached to a small wall beside the garage, but the other will be on the tarmac. I can't really start digging the tarmac up to lay a fence post in, so could you either give me advice as to how (if possible) I can fix it that end. I was wondering if the concrete blocks that are used for Harris fencing are available for wood?

Reply to
anneymouse

Spiked post socket?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've just read up on those, will I be able to drive that into tarmac do you think?

Reply to
anneymouse

Probably. Just hope there aren't any large hard rocks underneath.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thank you so much :) I'll try it!

Reply to
anneymouse

I would have thought that the flanged type of socket would have been better - such as

from Screwfix - and hold it in place with Rawlbolts.

Reply to
Set Square

In concrete yes, but I doubt that tarmac would hold together for long. Obviously it depends on the thickness of the tarmac and the nature of whatever is underneath it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I suppose if depends on the quality of the anchorage - my experience is that tarmac comes up quite easily as soon as anything starts levering it so if it were me I would look for a solid concrete anchor beneath the tarmac.

Reply to
Hzatph

Hzatph wrote: [top-posting unravelled]

How about starting off by trying to drill a deep hole with a masonry bit directly beneath the where the post will stand? That will tell you what sort of substrate you've got beneath the drive - solid concrete? soft earth? If it's very solid, then you could probably fit a flanged socket, using long bolts and a builder's resin I'd suggest. If it's pretty soft, then you could drill a few more holes immediately next to the original hole (still within the footprint of the post) and this will break up the tarmac surface sufficently to bash a spiked socket through.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Rob Morley has brought this to us :

Try drilling in the intended location of the post with a long masonary drill first.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield