Felt question

Hi

Whats the best way to detail roofing felt at the ridge - should I let the strip go over the ridge, or cut it at the ridge and add a strip of felt along the ridge after doing each side?

If I do the former, then some layers of felt will sit over the edge of over strips rather than laying perfectly flat. That doesnt sound ideal to me.

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

If I understand your question correctly then "some layers of felt will sit over the edge of over strips" is the way it should be done.the lower layers being underneath the upper layers by approx 4" IIRC. That way the rain runs down the felt and onto the next one down not under it. I have roofed a few sheds etc in my time and I always do the angled bits first and then put the 'ridge piece' over the top and overlap both sides IYSWIM.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Ah, confusion, compounded by my typo. Lemme try again.

Roof felt will be applied in horizontal strips, with each strip overlapping the one below in the usual way.

Now, there are 2 possible ways to detail the felt at the ridge line.

  1. is to cut the felt on each side at the ridge, then apply 2 layers of felt along and over the ridge. Lets try ascii - I'll explode the diagrams so each layer is shown spaced below the other for clarity:

; /\ ; / \ ; /\ ; / \ ; / ; / ; / ; / ; \ ; \ ; \ ; \ ; / ; / ; / ; / ; \ ; \ ; \ ; \

  1. Method 2 is to not cut it, but let the felt fold over the ridge. This way there is no join on the ridge itself, and no cutting. But there are more small stepped edges in the felt lay.

; /\ ; / ; / ; /\ ; \ ; \ ; /\ ; / ; / ; /\ ; \ ; \

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I normally go for something more like 2, but don't have the joints in the layers co-inside so the overlaps are more spread out and there are no joins in close proximity.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good point, cheers. I'll have to see where the felt edge is when I get there, that might just dictate it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222