Fein MultiMaster - old style

The more recent MultiMasters have a QuickIN system to allow rapid changing of the tools. This means that the older, more manual, variety are being discounted.

I am considering buying a MultiMaster but never having used one could someone say whether changing tools "manually" is a hassle that should really be avoided - at a price ? Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Rob

Rob ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) wibbled on Tuesday 08 March 2011 21:22:

What's that? Mine requires you flip a lever and drop a mushroom headed bolt out which seems fairly quick, but mine is 2 years old (is that old or new?).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mine is several years old but has the lever release which I assume is the quick change type. Did they run the two concurrently?

Certainly when sanding things it would be a bit of a chore if changing tools was awkward.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got the old type, and it is a hassle to change bits. But don't have to do it that frequently. I use mine almost exclusively for wood, and leave the blade mounted, even when it's in the storage box.

Occasionally the blade will creep round in use, and require repositioning, so if I was buying again I'd deffo want the new type.

I wouldn't trade for a cheaper version than the Fein though - the power and the robustness is outstanding.

How big a saving are you looking at?

Reply to
dom

That's new...

Mine has a hex headed bolt and washer plus a Alen key.

See:

John Rumm

Manually is not really that much hassle. There are pros and cons though. Pros include being able to use blades with just about any of the various blade mounting systems. Cons: blade can slip a little in use - usually only a problem on coarser toothed blades.

So in summary, I would probably opt for the new if they were within £20 of each other.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

But are they an 'essential' tool. I'm tempted to buy one but not sure of the usage it would get. Also would the Fein be superior to the (Blue) Bosch ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

In truth very few tools are essential. However the Fein is useful and very well made. It's also possible to get assorted to use Bosch blades and Hitachi blades and accessories fit the Fein. Lots of choice. It can replace a detail sander (saving a bit of cash if you don't have a sander but were thinking of buying one).

The Bosch is OK but not as well made. It's also shipped with the same options as a basic Fein (ie none) so it's not as cheap as it may seem at first glance. Fein kits run from around £120 to £259 on eBay. The difference is in the range of accessories included in each box.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As regards power tools, no such thing.

Maybe not much. But where it is needed, you'll be pleased you bought it.

The Fein is beautifully made and looks like it will last forever. Dunno the Bosch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Essential, no. How much use you will get will depend on the type of work you do. If you do a variety of jobs (DIY or otherwise), then you will porbably find plenty of times to use it. If you spend most time building furniture in a workshop, then probably less so.

They are very good tools for getting you out of situations that would be difficult to get out from otherwise!

The blue Bosch is a cordless IIRC and you only get about 8 mins on a full battery. I think in this case I would rather have the corded tool (especially as the Fein comes with a very long built in lead anyway).

The other thing that differentiates the Fein is the build quality, which is first class. Also the amount of vibration it transmits to the user is to all intents none - something not true of all the others.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a Bosch that I use in Italy, it's nowhere near as pleasant as the (old) Fein to use. The vibration of the Bosch is worse and after using it for the same job that I used the Fein for (chopping rot out of window and door frames) the Bosch looked seriously used and as if it wouldn't last much longer. In fact it continues to work well but it's just battered and worn looking because the plastics seem susceptible to damage.

I've just checked the costs of purchase, I can't see much in it. A Bosch PME180 starter set runs between £100 and £130 the Bosch GOP 250 CE Professional is £120 without accessories. The Fein starter kit with as many accessories as the Bosch PME180 kit is £135.

I'd happily pay the small amount extra for the Fein. In fact I'd pay at least another £30 to get the kit that has a nice orange handbag and a few more tools with it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mine's the same, probably 3 years old IIRC.

Reply to
AlanD

Mine's old style. Many blades are new style, with the star-shaped hole.

Changing them isn't a hassle (although don't lose the Allen key, it' a magic one with a spigot on the end). However they need to be tight, or the longer sawblades can work loose and slip sideways. I suspect that this is worse with new style blades. The camlock tool has a star- shaped spindle that prevents slippage. This is worth more than a quicker change.

Given the savings I've seen, I'd buy an old one. It's plenty cheaper than mine was a few years ago. Although it's useful, I still can't decide if it has been worthwhile for the amount it cost.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've got the green Bosch and have no complaints. It came in a good case with 3 different blades and cost just £39 on a special offer at B&Q. I've never used a Fein but at £120 plus it would have to very very good to justify the price difference. Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence