Fein Multimaster

There was mention of this tool on another group and when I looked up the web site I saw that this tool can cut the bottom off architrave and skirting. I have always avoided putting hardwood floors down because I have never wanted to take the skirting off but it looks as though this tool would do the job. Has anybody used one and can I get them anywhere other than the internet, Simbles in Watford, my local tool stockists don't sell them.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Yup, they should do that.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is there a clone around. This is a tool that is on my wish list. It is so versatile it covers about tools. At £60 or so I still think it is worth it. But someone must have made a look-alike by now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On or around 2 Nov 2005 05:14:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mwfree.net mused:

It certainly would. I got a Multimaster Top (the one with all the attachments and a case etc...) a couple of years ago and have found a multitude of uses for it. It has to be one of my favourite and most verstaile tools.

What's wrong with the internet? Chances are, it's the cheapest place to buy it from. I got mine at a show special price from the Price Tools stand at Interbuild.

Reply to
Lurch

It *can* do it (I've had one for quite a while now) but despite the attraction of not removing the skirting you'd spend an absolute age cutting. Maintaining a straight line might also be a problem and both the basic tool and the suitable blades are not cheap. It's a great piece of kit but I'd never consider using it for a full room.

Unless your skirting is something exceptional I'd pull it all off and start from scratch. If you do manage to remove it in one piece then a few minutes with a table or circular saw would remove all the excess and produce a better job.

BTW, hardwood floors went out of fashion two or three years ago. :-)

Reply to
Matt

Where do you find it at £60?! And how much are the blades, eh?!! :-) Just came across a thread from a year and a half ago on the screwfix discussion forum:

just ripped the skirting off in the bathroom I'm currently doing so I can get the new vinyl under the new skirting I was about to kick myself, but for the price of the Fein I can probably buy the new skirting and fit it in the time it'd take to cut the bottom off the existing skirting.and for far less cost.

Reply to
john.stumbles

Lord Hall we know, you have old us many times.

Lord Hall, they haven't. Ceramic floor tiles are popular.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is useful for cutting T&G boards and nice cut where the board rests on the joist. Cutting the bottom of door architrave and other bits and bobs. I have a rotothingy and that does a similar job, except architrave. And doesn't cost silly money.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is an excellent tool.

I have the Top version with an assortment of accessories in a metal case. It came from Axminster Power Tools if I remember correctly. I have since bought a number of cutters and other accessories.

It gets a lot of use for all sorts of purposes in woodworking, DIY, decorating,.....

Probably one of my most used tools and worth every penny.

Having said that, it would be a lengthy job to trim a complete skirting, although an architrave would be OK. I would suggest that you remove the skirting altogether. If you are going for a proper hardwood floor, then a hardwood skirting in a matching or contrasting wood fits very well. A painted skirting - especially in a plain modern style may not. Either way, it's better to replace it than to mess around trying to trim it.

Reply to
andy hall

Not a clone, but I wonder if this would do the skirting-board job (except at corners, obviously). I don't know how thick the blade is: presumably OK for laminate, maybe a bit thick for vinyl.

a bit lethal: anybody used one (and lived to tell the tale? :-)

Reply to
john.stumbles

Looks good enough to cut the architraves. At £50 cheap enough too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you have just told us that in the other post. Boy!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why not buy the proper thing for a change?

The entry level Fein, with a small range of accessories is only =A3108.

One of the values of this tool is the availability and continued availability of a wide range of accessories and consumables. This is one tool type where the here today, gone tomorrow marketing of the rippers off will not work.

I hope that Fein have a robust patent in place to stave off cheap imitation competitors. This is one of the most innovative and useful power tools for a very long time and they deserve the kudos and return for developing and properly supporting it with genuine warranties, accessories and service.

Reply to
andy hall

Yes.

Arbortech stuff is mainly intended for power woodcarving .

Even the small one like this is quite aggressive and to suggest that it's suitable for fine work is stretching it a bit.

They are good fun if you fancy creatively making something in 3D in wood.

It's not suitable for trimming work like this, but the Multimaster isn't that useful for cutting long lengths of wood either.

Reply to
andy hall

You could try it on plastic pipe as well......

It should be about as effective as your usual technique

Reply to
andy hall

Matt, which does not do much at all. You need the £160 job.

Which are "very" expensive. It is only a sander with attachments and £160 is taking the piss.

It is only a sander.

Developing? The same sort of body is available for a few quid from others.

To me it is useful for floorboards, cutting the bottoms of architraves and well...er, er, sanding. A Rotothingy can do the boards, which I have, and this can do the architrave for £50:

is lot to keep in your cupboard for months on end.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My usual technique on plastic pipe is top throw it out, or use it for sleeving. Can't thing what else it is good for.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hi,

I'd use on of these ;) :

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Looks far more cost effective, and effective too.

The Multimaster is a detail sander with extras. You can buy a detail sander for £10. £25 gets you a good Ryobi.

So,

£28 for this blade £25 for a detailed sander £17 for a Rotzip thingy form Aldi

That is: £70 max and they will all do most of what the multimaster will do and better too. A big difference to £160

BTW, does anyone know of a softstart angle grinder?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is quite a complicated shaped room so would entail a lot of cuts and frigging about fitting the skirting plus there is picture rail to do if I fitted a different skirting. The existing skirting and picture rail was fitted 20 years ago and is not painted but stained. I think a bit of contrast to a hardwood floor is not a bad thing, I just can't be bothered with all those mitre cuts.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr