Feeling cold - got a Nest Thermostat ?

A software bug that caused Nest's smart thermostat to stop working has left many users both cold and angry.

Reply to
Jonno

Nice timing that one!

Just had a phonecall from someone about their CH not working properly. The Nest is aiming for 20 deg but the actual temp has not got above 14 since

3pm.
Reply to
ARW

Opportunity for work for you to fit a manual override switch? (Advice from you I followed, and which made for a *much* shorter phone call than I'd have had otherwise t'other night.)

Reply to
Robin

ARW scribbled

My bill is in the post.

Reply to
Jonno

Have to admit I'm kind of glad I've still got a bit of bendy metal controlling the temperature of my house after seeing that.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Reinforced my concerns about installing any smart heating control system which has to be connected to the internet to work !

Reply to
Robert

bloody stupid idea

pay 150 quid so that you don't have to remember to turn the stat down as you leave the house and back up again as you return

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , tim..... writes

I don't want to do that. I like the house to be warm when I come in, not have to wait while it warms up (not that I have a Nest)

Reply to
Chris French

Just another toy to be chucked in the back of the cupboard after a couple of uses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can preset mine for different temperatures according to the time of day.

For example when out at work. Or for the odd evening out - just as easily as doing it via a phone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would think most of the smart domestic heating control systems would work (i.e. control the heating according to some schedule), without an Internet connection. That is certainly the case of the Heatmiser Smartstat. The remote control via the Internet is a useful additional feature.

The problem with the Nest appears to be a software bug that caused the battery to go flat. I would avoid battery operated thermostats, though I do concede they are likely to be easier to install.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Battery operated wireless thermostats (or thermostat/programmers) also offer an easy option for a portable remote control. Eg a light sleeper who is woken by heating coming on can use one to turn on the heating when they wake. (And no - I'm not up to making the system quiet enough.)

Reply to
Robin

My home automation also has a manual override switch, and I retained the original roomstat which is normally left on 25C (i.e. always calling for heat) in series with the home automation control, but can be turned back down to normal operation if the home automation were to ever fail. It also serves as some protection if the home automation ever failed with the heating stuck on.

Does Nest actually depend on the internet being up? That would be daft.

Some reports say that although the bug is fixed for most, people who are away and their Nest battery has gone flat due to the bug will not get any frost protection until they return and charge the unit back up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Next door but one neighbour "Is your CH heating on a timer?" Me "Yes" Next door but one neighbour "I am sure your cat leaves my house and goes home as soon as your boiler fires up"

Reply to
ARW