Fed Up With Shower Tiles!

I was wondering if anyone can suggest something like a panel I can fix over the top of the tiles in my shower. I am sick to death of dirty grout! I've been reading about Mermaid Panels. Does anyone know of anything else?

Thanks Christine

Reply to
Christine

I've used Mermaid panels, and they are very good but they do have one drawback - you can't scrub them very hard without scratching them. This is fine unless like us you have very hard water which deposits huge amounts of limescale which needs to be scrubbed off.

The panels are made of very high quality ~11mm thick ply, faced with a tough patterned melamine sheet. I've had several bits of panel sitting outside for 2.5 years, with constant weather exosure, and they look fine. No de-lamination.

Reply to
Grunff

Panels must have joints in them - if only at corners etc - which will get equally dirty.

Regrout in a colour other than white - you can mix a tiny amount of emulsion to get the colour of your choice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mermaid supply aluminium extrusions for both straight joins, inside corners and outside corners. The panels fit into these very snugly, and all that's required is a small amount of silicone which is not visible once the panles are installed.

Reply to
Grunff

When you grout, seal it with something like Lithofin KF StainStop. Then it doesn't get dirty and is easily cleaned.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for all your answers! I'm a bit worried about the hard water problem. I did try completely regrouting, but only got through a few tiles. In places the grout line is so thin that it was really hard work to get the grout out, which I'm not opposed to but my patience doesn't hold out! At the moment I use one of these tile whitener liquids, but this is horrible, messy stuff, and I can't clean it off without wiping the grout.

I think that the plumbers who installed my shower didn't take enough care. They just laid the tiles on 100 year old walls and it's given the tiles contours that Ordnance Survey would be proud of!

Christine

Reply to
Christine

Hi,

A steam cleaner is good for cleaning or even removing grout.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C