Feathering plaster skim: Can it be done?

I've posted a few queries regarding skim plaster in the last few weeks, and weekend by weekend, my efforts are improving within the downstairs loo: concrete ceiling first, then brick wall then drylined plasterboard wall. the skim on the drylining was a lot easier and DID look the best (no surprise there).

UNTIL

I fitted a new DG window into the drylined wall last weekend and finished the reveals last night, complete with corner beads for reinforcement. I had planned to feather the plaster from the beads onto the mirror-like finish i had achieved previously on the plasterboard dry lining - instead i got an awful drawn out mess at the edges, covering 50% of the wall in an attempt to feather out smoothly (lots of water, panic sponging and bad language).

I am now resigned to PVA and skimming this wall all over again, but wondered if it IS possible to succesfully feather a new skimmed area into a previously plastered one, or if it's generally accepted that you do the whole wall.

In this instance it's not a big deal 'cos it's a small wall and frankly I'm enjoying the practice, but I had planned on 'touching up' areas of the living room afterward...

Cheers.

KB, Oxford

Reply to
Kevin Brady

You can't feather it, but you can cut back the existing plaster and skim flush with this edge.

You can touch up with a fine surface filler - make sure there are no high spots before you fill, minimal sanding should be required to get a flat smooth finish.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Allegedly Polyfilla feathers better than plaster, due to the small particle size.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Plenty of dilute PVA first.

Get your act together next time.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Filler has its own binder built in, so it shouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In article , Kevin Brady writes

I'm no expert in this area but board jointing mix is reputed to be good for feathering.

Reply to
fred

Jointing compound is really good but don't try filling deep ridges etc. as it does tend to shink! DAMHIKT

Reply to
Ian Garthwaite