Feasibility request: rainwater to toilet

Reply to
dennis

AND treatment.

It most certainly isn't simply a matter of pouring rainwater into your pipes.

Your water bill also includes treatment and disposal of sewage.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

ITYM:- "1 penny per day"

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

(percentages are apporximate - but it shows the system used) You pay for sewage as 90% of the fresh water supplied by the meter. ie if you buy 100cu m water and then pay for 90 cu m of sewage.

If you prove that you do not return rain water (have a soak etc) you pay only 80%. ie if you buy 100cu m water and now only pay for 80 cu m of sewage.

-- Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

So you've tried them all?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It wouldn't be necessary to treat piped water as it is, if there was not the assumption that it would be used as drinking water. 99%+ is not used for that, so it's a nonsense to treat all of it.

It's itemised.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You've tasted ALL of them???

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well said, that man!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

YES!!

If you want a loo covered in green slime, or are prepared to tip in chemicals at far higher cost than te water company does..

Mine doesn't. I do that myself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you will find that organic growth is more of a hazard than just to people's health.

We must have pulled a couple of tons of nice orginic clogging matting algae out of our pond before we got the oxygenation plants going.

Certainly enough to clog any valves or pumps that might have been in the way.

Ok a closed tank will stop photosynthesis, but any water but I have ever known is just FULL of mosquito larvae etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What was all that Bovine Scatology about modern ways of thinking?

"English Currency

Before 1971, a single penny was always one penny, never one pence. In

1971 the penny became One New Pence and there were 100 New Pence to the pound." ...
- 16k © C P Bignell 2000

Better said *that* man ...

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

He follows this by saying (which you omitted) "The new was eventually dropped and the name penny has returned"

mainly, I would say, because "pence" is a plural and therfore "one new pence" didn't mean anything, being akin to saying "one pounds". Don't bring Mr Bignell (better said though he is) in on your specious argument ;o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It would still be necessary to treat it, but to not quite the same standards. I wouldn't want to shower with legionella riddled water, or even flush my toilet with it.

Reply to
<me9

Funny how "three ha'ppence" (however spelled) became "one point five pence" or "one and a half pence". In fact, the "point five" form now seems frequently to have replaced the simple "half".

Reply to
Rod

Yes, pence is the plural of pence. Pence is not the plural of penny. They are different things even if penny is still used to refer to one pence.

Reply to
dennis

As much as you have tried all tap water, yes.

Reply to
dennis

They wouldn't ve mineral water if they didn't have minerals in them and the minerals taste the same in the same concentrations.. there is nothing magical about mineral water its just chemical soup.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home wrote in

You may be right but, if that's so, the first half dozen searches on Google - inc. the OUP - have it wrongly down as the plural of penny.

Reply to
PeterMcC

No it isn't

Yes it is (OED etc)

The 1p coin says "One Penny" on it, the 2p coin "Two pence"

Do you actually live in the real world or a parallel universe?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ah but I'm not making any claims bout all tap water tasting the same!

Reply to
Mary Fisher