FCUs/Spurs and powering two outlets

Hi, I'm doing some wiring in preparation for my new boiler which will be going in the loft directly above the airing cupboard. I need to have an 3A DP isolator in the airing cupboard for the boiler, and I also need a 3A DP isolator for the solar water heating control panel. If possible, I would like to power both these outlets from one spur off the upstairs ringmain, although I am unclear as to the exact way of doing this in terms of the number of fused outlets and isolators required.

From reading the regulations, I am allowed to power as many outlets as I want from a spur, providing they are all (as a group) protected by an appropriate fuse. Does this mean I have have to have 3 fuses in the chain, one between the spur and the first outlet (the boiler), then one for the boiler FCU, then one for the solar heating FCU?

This seems a bit OTT so could someone please tell me the correct way of wiring up this arrangement.

Thanks

Luke

Reply to
Luke

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:09:40 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Luke wrote this:-

Install a fused connection unit at a suitable point in the ring, fuses at 3A. This could be directly on the ring or on an unfused spur that just feeds the connection unit . This doesn't need to be switched, though it will make things marginally easier if it is.

Run a cable or cables from this to the isolators for each bit of equipment .

If you are worried about a fault on one taking out the other then you could use switched fused units for each bit of equipment fused at 3A. You could then use a 13A fuse (or a 16A MCB) at the suitable point on the ring. There is a small value in doing this as then a fault in the boiler should not take out the solar, but if the solar is designed properly it will cope with stagnation.

Reply to
David Hansen