FCUs and wiring of spurs

Following on from last week's query about dehumidifiers in the airing cupboard, my next job is to fit a 13A socket inside said airing cupboard!

Currently in there, there's an old surface-mounted spur emerging from below the floorboards [1] wired into an eye-level switched FCU which connects to the adjacent CH controls. The obvious path-of-least resistance solution would be simply to break into the spur at skirting level and fit a new FCU there, from which would run a new cable to the new adjacent 13A socket. (Spose I should fit some trunking too, shouldn't I!).

I was just wondering though - is there a neater solution available in the form of an FCU with an inbuilt socket? If so that could simply be interposed along the existing spur.

David

[1] Which I know connects to a junction box, but would involve uplifting the landing carpet to access, before anyone suggests that as a better solution!
Reply to
Lobster

You can get double back-boxes that take 2 standard-size frontplates, so you could put a 13a SKT and a FCU in the same box.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

As long as the whole spur is protected by an FCU you can add what you wish.

Not seen an FCU and socket combined - the neatest way if they're close is to use a dual box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

could put a 13a SKT and

Thanks, yes that would be second best to a combined one... although, PITA that I am I've realised that really I could do with a double 13A socket in there (the TV splitter also lives in the airing cupboard and I'm not going to air publically how it's currently wired :-) and I'll bet there are no back boxes for that configuration!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

How about a 3 gang socket with an integral fuse, e.g. . It should do what you need - if the fuse controls all 3 sockets and not just the extra one. The unused spare socket is bound to come in handy sometime.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Their 4 gang one 60887 is cheaper and is OK. The rear box is central if its a two way and behind the second socket from the right if its a single IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

On the face of it that *looks* exactly what I was after; but presumably if I wired it as the first of two accessories on a spur (which is what I want), then the integral fuse will only be protecting this socket, and not the second accessory (ie the switched FCU for the CH)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The first thing you need to do is to work out what circuit the wiring to this cupboard is on.

It could easily be any of the following:

1) 15A radial circuit wired in 1.5 or 2.5 which is supplied from a 15, 16 or 20 A breaker. Possibly intended as but never used as a supply for an immersion heater. 2) On a ring final circuit (most likely the upstairs one), with 2 2.5 cables supplying the FCU. 3) As (2) but wired as a spur with a single 2.5 supply cable.

Trunking is not a requirement for protecting T&E cable in a house. The extra FCU may not be needed at all.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes, it's definitely scenario (3) - that's the (ahem) not-so-accessible jcb I was referring to above.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, The CH would need it's own FCU.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Weird idea but might fly... you can get mini-consumer units for just 4 MCB spaces. What about taking one of these, fitting a 16 amp MCB and connecting both the CH and the new socket to that? the 16 amp breaker would technically suffice to protect the spur from overloading, I don't know if it's by the rules though.

Ranger

Reply to
Ragnar Bartuska