Favourite new 'tool'

Every so often I buy something which so improves the quality of my 'diy life' that I think 'why the hell didn't I get one of those years ago'.

Previous winners of this self-awarded prize over the years include the Fugenboy silicone sealant profile forming tool':

and two ladder accessories; the LadderMax ladder stand-off:
and the Laddermat levelling device:

So... the other day I had a small brick-laying job to do and needed to mix up some mortar. In the past I've always found a clean bit of concreted floor, or an old panel of plywood or something to do this on; however this time I was working at home and couldn't find a suitable board anywhere, or an appropriate area of ground to work on (I did broach the subject of using the kitchen vinyl floor but that didn't fly)... so decided to invest in one of those mixing trays:

It's brilliant. It provides a completely clean, smooth surface and is washable-down afterwards, and the lip around the outside keeps all water and mix contained within the tray. I used it on our block-paved drive (which I didn't want to get mortar-stained), but to be honest if necessary I'd have been comfortable using it on a carpeted floor indoors. (Well, almost.)

I've seen these around for years, but never thought to buy one before - definitely should have!

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, they're useful for up to a two-bag mix. Make sure you find somewhere to store it that keeps it flat (not necessarily horizontal) if you just bung it down the side of the shed it'll be a bit warped next time you come to use it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't do anything fast enough to need a two bag mix, except maybe pouring it in a hole. I imagine it's very tough plastic

Reply to
stuart noble

Although they flatten out OK when you use them again. The one memorable present I had from ex father-in-law.

The new cheap "second" EVO chop saw (discussed in other recent posts) has already come in handy, first to chop a neat length of a bit of PVC

50 mm rod, and last night to cut up some 5 mm perspex sheet after the wind lifted the glass out of a small and very inaccessible skylight. Managed to get a platform underneath and fit the (temporary) perspex panel from the inside, in the rain, using a glass-handling sucker.
Reply to
newshound

Does this gizmo allow you to dispense with masking tape either side of the joint?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

50mm PVC rod?? Where do you get that and what's it for? Is it machineable? I mean, could you turn it down on a lathe?
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In message , Cursitor Doom writes

Very much so. I used to be a masking tape and wet finger sort of person. The results were at best, naff.

I invested in a fungenboy and within minutes had a perfect finish. Once you've used one you'll never want to use anything else.

The above sounds like total advertising bo**ocks, but it is actually very true, they are one of the best purchases that I've made. A spray bottle of warm, very soapy, water is an essential addition to the kit when in use.

Reply to
Bill

Yes. They are utterly brilliant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Lobster writes

I agree. I don't very often use cement or similar, but for the various odd jobs I have done, it really is a lifesaver in terms of ease of use and minimising mess. Highly recommended.

Reply to
News

Had mine for over a decade and it hasn't warped despite being left leaning against the shed for most of that time.

Reply to
dennis

It is called a "spot".

harryagain

Last year I mixed on a sheet of polythene ...messy, this year I remembered I had a black tray from a greenhouse approx 4` x 2.5` made a big difference and easy to clean, I only ever mix a couple of buckets at a time. My next stage is to construct something to raise it to waist height as my back now hurts even with small amounts of mixing. I did try some empty buckets with lids and rolling the the bucket to mix the stuff was easier but time consuming. I proabably have around 2 barrowloads to mix over the course of the summer and then hopefully the job will be finished.

Reply to
ss

eBay, where else? For example

It turns very nicely in a lathe with the right tooling. The problem with sawing many polymers, even at hand sawing speeds, is that it melts from friction and is difficult to cut nicely. Same goes for drilling, milling, etc. But in fact if it is held sufficiently rigidly (as in the chop saw) you can cut it with a circular saw at 3000 rpm.

Reply to
newshound

I have a favourite wheelbarrow for small odd mixes. For larger mixes I still have a gawd knows how old full size electric mixer that cost me £30 in the garden...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Come clean. What do you do with it? ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On 11 May 2014, ss grunted:

Maybe; but my "mixing tray"

was cheaper!

Reply to
Lobster

Never thought I would say it, but mine is the Lidl multi tool I bought for £30. Has been great for lifting floorboards enabling me to cut directly o ver joists and the tongues in the T&G. As a bonus it did an excellent job o f sanding my skirting boards, architraves and doors after my orbital sander emitted the magic smoke on first use.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My leccy mixer is an AlKo model I bought 2nd had 36 years ago ... seems bui8lt to lat .. proper cast iron drum, cast teeth ring. Grease nipples all over the place.

Only failure has been capacitor on the motor ... which I replaced 25 yrs ago.

Vee belt is shredding a bit ... so will have to get a new one.

Built 3 houses and no end of paths, walls etc. Great £50 buy.

Reply to
Rick Hughes