Faulty Thermostat / Central Heating?

Hi all,

Moved into a new Barratt home about 18 months ago and i believe that the Central Heating has never worked correctly. Only gotten round to looking into it now though.

Basically even if the Thermostat is set at, say, 10 degrees, the house still gets very hot. Ie, i can still here the boiler boiling away even when a separate thermometer next to the thermostat is reading way above

10 degrees (around 20-22 usually).

When we set the thermostat at around 20-ish, the house doesn't seem to get warm at all.

The thermostat does 'click' though (very quietly) at around the correct temperature.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating and is probably costing us a lot more in gas than it should!

I am going to contact Barratt to come and look at it, but some general thoughts / advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

David Gouge

Reply to
David Gouge

Most likely that the wiring to the boiler or within the boiler is incorrect. Maybe a linking wire has not been removed.

John

Reply to
john

Are you saying that:

  1. the thermostat works correctly - ie detects the correct temperature, but
  2. switches the heating on when the room is above the set temperature and off when it's below the set temperature?
Reply to
John Cartmell

Yes to 1, but i wish it was as consistent as you say in 2. If that was the case the boiler wouldn't switch off until the end of the program i imagine.

Generally it just doesn't 'seem' right. At our old house if you set the thermostat down low, that's what you'd get.

Anyway, cheers for the reply,

Reply to
David Gouge

Sounds like the NO and NC terminals have been reversed on the stat, then!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So if it *is* that, would that be easy for a n00b like me to fix instead of going to the hassle of getting Barratts in?

Reply to
David Gouge

If it does turn out to be that, then anyone competent in wiring electrical fittings could fix it. I can't possibly comment on your competence from the information available to me...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sounds like the thermostat is wired up round the wrong way. However you better start by listing out all the kit you have and we can take it from there.

Reply to
Ed Sirett