faulty smoke alarm

I have three linked mains wired smoke alarms in the house I have just bought. They go off by mistake about once a day. Does anyone know what the fault is and how to rectify it? Cheers Nigmyk

Reply to
nigmyk

Might be worth a try - clean the dust and dead flies out of them. If that doesn't work, you could try disconnecting each one in turn to find which if any sensor is faulty. I that doesn't work then the problem is probably central and may be beyond diy.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

You have of course ruled out smoke or steam (eg from a kitchen or bathroom) or electrical interference? The Kidde ones I fitted 18 months ago had surprisingly stringent requirements relating to distance from nearest bathroom, distance from nearest light fitting etc.

If it's a fault then chances are it is just one of the three units. Disconnect one by one and leave each for a couple of days to identify.

Reply to
rrh

I can understand 1 going off,but all 3? sounds like something common to all three, mains tripping them? As advised disconnect all but one and do each the same in turn.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The clue *might* be in the phrase "linked" :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yeah..managed to set all mine off yesterday doing some plumbing..flux smoke gets them really excited..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher