Faulty DVD player hub

We have a portable DVD player, which is suffering from a collapsed hub - ie the bit in the middle upon which you push down the DVD to engage it, fitted over the end of the motor spindle. It has three tiny radial spring-loaded bits which apply hold the DVD in position, one has gone awol and a bit of plastic has broken off. DVDs now won't play at all (they wobble in the drive).

I was just looking at a portable CD player, and the hub looks extremely similar. So I'm wondering about cannibalising a cheap (broken?) CD player for its hub: am I likely to be able to get them off the motor spindles, and are all spindles likely to be the same diameter?

I know I'm kind of thinking aloud here... but I'm aware that if I give it a go I may well bust something iretrievably so just wondered if anyone had any experience of this? I can't imagine I'll be able to get it repaired economically anywhere otherwise?

(I'm afraid it's an el cheapo "Aldi" (Tevion) machine, so I've only myself to blame; however to be fair it's given 2-3 years of good service and *many* peaceful hours long distance driving with the kids, so I'm not complaining!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sounds like a plan if it fits!

Read . Try to ensure you don't lose the original height setting for the hub, otherwise you might (it sez) have problems with focus, or maybe not ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Just as a side issue, isn't the Tevion stuff from Aldi warratied for 3 years? You would of course need your receipt but it may be worth asking them for a refund, as a replacement is unlikely due to the way Aldi sell their 'specials'.

HTH

John

Reply to
John