Fatally Flawed

I have seen these as well, and they fail on a multitude of points...

No fuse (replaceable or otherwise) Pin spacings too close to the edge of the plug body CSA of the wire in the flex is often ridiculously thin

Reply to
John Rumm

'll have to ask the prices ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Blimey, does anyone actually visit websites which say that you have to go to all the trouble of "asking for the prices"? I think life is a bit too short for that sort of nonsense.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Like a brothel then!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Olson stuff turns up on eBay regularly. My study is fitted out with it.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed they did, see my other reply to the OP for a link to a pic of the wiring guide. Equal lengths and the truly innovative and functional cord grip made plug fitting so much easier.

Can't recall when they changed but all I've had in the last five years or so have sadly been the new and 'improved' type

The original ones were a design classic.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not so.

See this, the wiring guide supplied with an orignal MK Safeplug from the 80's and a 'new one'

with 8mm strip on the original

43mm with 8mm strip only on the earth conductor on the new ones
Reply to
The Other Mike

I've had one or two where a grip broke when trying to fit larger cables (1.5mm^2 or 2.5mm^2).

They still seem to adequately hold the larger cables with one of the grips removed.

Reply to
<me9

Revise:

  1. MK have claimed to use equal lengths in their instructions.

1a. MK have alwasy needed unequal lengths in practice.

Reply to
<me9

I suspect it keeps their customer base down to people with moderate to large orders - their stuff is very popular in computer rooms - well built. Not too bad asking for a price on a 500 quid order...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sort out your line length. Max 72 characters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Never liked them myself... too wide when placed together in some sockets, and the binding post termination was never as nice as terminals with a proper wire hole IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Too much chance of stray strands not getting gripped properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because you stupidly made your reply in the signature of the post you replied to, and because it seems you couldn't reply properly to a usenet post unless an adult guided you through the process, making a reply to your post is difficult or impossible in many newsreaders. This because they will just automatically snip everything after the sig separator.

However given that your entire post was a load of self-congratulatory cant perhaps most newsreaders are doing the right thing. Adam was right, you do have a pop at the mother concerned. Then you try to bluster your way out.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Try actually reading what we say! The criticism is of an incompetent handyman. His lack of understanding of the dangers inherent in an unterminated power lead resulted in Liam's death. There is absolutely no mention of Liam's mother.

Please accept my apologies for any error in formatting. I am not, nor ever have been, a usenet user, and am posting this via Google Groups.

Reply to
PlugSafe
[snip]

Perhaps you should try reading what you write.

Your site features this statement: "It remains the responsibility of parents and carers to ensure that other, portable, devices which may give rise to shocks or burns are kept beyond the reach of small children."

Followed immediately by your summary of the cause of Liam's death.

"The lead with moulded plug attached had been removed from an appliance that was being installed by a handyman, instead of removing the fuse and ensuring that the lead was safely disposed of the lead was left lying where Liam could find it. Liam took it to his playroom, plugged it into a socket and grabbed hold of the bare wires."

There then follows a section in which you appear to cause confusion between Liam's accident and the use of detachable power leads.

Finally back to parents again:

"Parents are encouraged to carefully consider their use of table lamps, bedside lamps and floor standing lamps in areas frequented by children."

The only people being mentioned on that page in terms of blame and responsibility are the parents. The handyman is not blamed at all. The only mention of the handyman is in passing to say that he installed the appliance. No mention of his negligence. No mention of the lead being terminated by bare wires.

And of course no recognition that in this case a socket cover may have prevented the accident.

The overall impression gained from that page is that if someone dies as a result of an accident involving misuse of fixed or trailing sockets the parents are responsible and the handyman in the particular instance was just the installer. (hence the parents are to blame because you blame only "parents" and not "handyman").

So sod off out of usenet if you can't be arsed to use it properly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So you are saying the parents are at fault for not using socket covers?

Reply to
dennis

So you are saying that you're a worthless k*****ad with the brains of a cockroach?

Reply to
Steve Firth

"installed by a handyman, instead of removing the fuse and=20 ensuring that the lead was safely disposed of the lead was left lying where= =20 Liam could find it." seems pretty clear to me.

You have absolutely no evidence to back up the myth that socket covers prev= ent children putting plugs in. Liam was obviously a pretty smart child, wh= y on earth should anyone think that removing a socket cover was beyond him?= Parents frequently report that their children find it easier to remove so= cket covers than they do themselves. If socket covers were ever to be offi= cially recommended (which they are not) that could only happen if there wer= e properly designed products on the market, until then they remain akin to = snake oil.

At the Fatal Accident Inquiry an HSE witness made the suggestion that socke= t covers may have been helpful, but only as an afterthought, not in his wri= tten evidence (he also made it clear that it was not HSE policy to promote = their use). The Sheriff refused to take the suggestion seriously, "because= there simply is not the evidence to give me the facts from which I could d= erive that conclusion."

Reply to
PlugSafe
[snip]

It's not clear at all. You want it to be clear but it does not in any way place blame upon the handyman, particularly if the full sentence is quoted rather than editing it as you did above.

"The lead with moulded plug attached had been removed from an appliance that was being installed by a handyman,"

Does not clearly identify the handyman as the person responsible for removing the lead.

" instead of removing the fuse and ensuring that the lead was safely disposed of the lead was left lying where Liam could find it."

Again does not clearly identify the handyman as the person responsible.

Now set it in the context of your page that repeatedly states the *parents* are responsible for making safe appliances and leads.

Perhaps you could rewrite your page to state, clearly that the death was the result of the handyman's negligence and had nothing to do with socket covers or with Parents failing to take proper care of appliances and leads?

You have absolutely no evidence that their use degrades safety. Not even a credible mechanism by which they could do so.

However your responses here are making it clear that you're one of those pompous arses who will never admit fault, so I don't expect to see any recognition of your errors.

Reply to
Steve Firth