Fastest drying impact adhesive ?

Picture was hung above a radiator and the wood veneer on the frame has come adrift. Its a moulded frame and I don't feel like trying to make up a shaped former to allow me clamp it while glue is wet.

Tried 3M spray on impact adhesive but it was no use, wouldn't hold. A spray can application would be ideal. Save faffing about with spreading combs or whatever

I need to be able to position it carefully before allowing the impact adhesive grab. Sheet of paper interleaved I suppose would be the way to go. And then it needs to grab evenly on the first pressure.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

would a mitre adhesive work? though that might be too quick setting and not give the required time to position carefully?

eg.

You can also get it with the activator in a pen type dispenser rather than spray

Reply to
Chris French

Sounds like a job for superglue. Or you can always apply pressure during setting with foam & tape, plus polythene to stop the tape sticking where needed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've decided to give 3M Super 77 a go. The veneer is in several pieces and I'd be afraid super glue would be too fast but anything too slow would requ ire clamping of some sort which wouldn't be easy. The fram is quite large s o there is a lot of veneer to re-attach.

I never found Mitre adhesive very good. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough.

Reply to
fred

How hot does it get. I have veneered chipboard on a shelf near a kettle and toaster, its melting the glue even though its still cool enough to touch at all times. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's suspended about 40" above the radiator. It had been there for a long time and it was the bottom edge of the frame only that succumbed. If it wasn't such a large frame, and an attractive one at that, I wouldn't be bothered trying.

Steam from the kettle or the toaster may be the culprit in your case. Hot melt glue as used in an edging machine to apply edging, if its the edging that is coming off, generally runs in the region of 190 degrees.

Would contact adhesive be susceptible to heat ?

Seems so.

From Evo Stik

"Evo-Stik Impact Adhesive Spray has a relatively low temperature resistance "

Reply to
fred

Get some Polymorph

Put in hot water until it softens

Press it onto the moulding and leave it to cool and you have a shaped former you can use with a clamp or can drill and fix things to. It won't stick to the frame at the temperature it becomes mouldable. If it isn't quite right simply drop back into hot water to re-soften and try again.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I would apply CA glue to one side, hold the joint close and then spray the activator at it.

Reply to
John Rumm