Farm track/ footpath/unadopted.

Number six. Sell the deep hole on eBay.

Reply to
ARW

It might give that power to District/Borough Councils or County Councils. it certainly doesn't give Parish Councils any such powers. We have has a dead (and dangerous) tree at the edge of the highway for over 18 months. It has taken over a year to get the County Council Highways department to agree it's dangerous and "it will be dealt with". It happens to lean over the Olympic Cycle route - which is also being used by the London-Surrey Prudential Ride in a couple of weeks time. We just hope it doesn't fall over when the Ride is in progress.

Reply to
charles

Indeed, and if he/she didn't know the Clerk would know. But try to get the County Council (who look after footpaths) to go anything about it is another matter. I write from experience.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

That's not the point.

Reply to
bert

In message , charles writes

Our parish council has responsibility for trees in certain recreational areas. Things are changing and many facilities are being pushed down to parish level as the higher authority seeks to cut costs and retreat to statutory services only.

Reply to
bert

So I would recommend to the OP that she writes to them.

Reply to
bert

and how is the Parish Council going to pay for these "pushed down" services?

Reply to
charles

By pushing up their precept which isn't capped.

Reply to
bert

but will be next year

Reply to
charles

According to the land registry there is no recorded owner.

Reply to
sweetheart

I don't want to get political but the lily livered councilors round me are too much of a bunch of wuzzes only interested in their own little lobby groups ( most unfortunately got elected unopposed and represent interest groups -like the local town group or the disabled lobby group. Just two who got in near here.

Reply to
sweetheart

I did put in a notification to the council and the SWW but I havent seen or heard anything. The man hole cover comes off. With fairness I think the farm contractorsare trying toput it back but last I saw the manhole was now broken around the top and the lid doesnt fit ( they had lodged it on stones).

Someone came and put a cone on it but that got moved and now the cone is minced on the roadoutside as a tractor blew it away and flattened it.

Reply to
sweetheart

On Saturday 20 July 2013 16:30 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tricky.

In summary and bearing in mind all previous answers, I would:

1) Report it to the council (district/borough or whatever yours is that is one down from county) to the Highways dept and CC to whicheve dept covers rights of way if that is different.

2) Optionally, and if you feel so inclined, a "DANGER" sign on a stick facing whichever way you think will be seen the best.

Act 1 makes it someone else's problem, and in theory they should look into it, even if the road is not theirs if it is near a public right of way.

Act 2 is you being helpful and in now way could it possibly come back to haunt you as you are not trying to "fix" the problem (which makes you have at least a hint of liability if your fix fails).

If act 1 gets bounced back, try bouncing it back to Building Control in the same council. It may or may not be their remit but you are more likely to get some interest from a bloke with a practical outlook on life and enough knowledge of the council's inner workings to kick someone else.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If your council is that bad, letter to the local rag?

Reply to
newshound

I usually get results via fixmystreet - just need to upload a good photo and mark the place on the map.

Geo

is it a requirement to send pics?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I don't think so - a good description of the problem would do but you know what they say about a picture's worth (although if the complaint is about dog fouling then perhaps better not...)

Reply to
Geo

Thanks for that link, Geo.

Reply to
RayL12

Judging by the political newsletters that get shoved through my letterbox in Southend-on-Sea it's the "dog mess on pavements" lobby that appears to be ruling the town.

While one half of the council is attempting to promote tourism to the town (for some strange reason promoting it as a city) the other half is making sure that everyone who wants to come by car will spend a couple of hours travelling the final mile - and another couple of hours getting out again.

Reply to
alan

Final update to this. After several months of reporting this, the council came and covered the whole thing over with tarmac. So whoever the drain belongs to, tough.

They haven't complained but I have seen several people in the village with their hands heads and other things down their own drains in the road including my neighbour.

But its not my problem. The hole in the lane is now safe.

Reply to
sweetheart