FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how.

Welcome to UK.D-I-Y, the newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourself enthusiasts in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.
This newsgroup has a companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/ that contains a wealth of tips for the DIY'er. Please check it out before posting here, and if you are new to DIY or the newsgroup, you might find it already contains the answer to your question.
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.
The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

One more short para might be in order along the following lines, Phil:
The FAQ also makes clear that commercial advertising in this group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. Replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable; further details on commercial participation is in the FAQ.
Comments from others as to whether it's worth putting the commercial-postings position in the weekly FAQ pointer, and as to whether the above form of words is about right, are welcome. It wants to be a short paragraph like Phil's excellent preceding paragraphs, rather than a complete Terms & Conditions, mind...
Stefek
On 18 Oct 2003 14:57:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:
[snip weekly FAQ posting]

Seems a good idea to me, Stefak, thanks for the input.
Does anyone else have a view on this?
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:14:38 GMT, "Phil Addison"
Sure looks like a prudent move.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On 18 Oct 2003 14:57:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

I think that this is a good idea, Stefek, and that the wording is about right as well - short and to the point.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

FAQ.
commercial-postings
Seconded.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. It might be more in line with conventional English usage to make "further details" agree with the verb in that last clause, though - and to make it a sentence all of its own for readability. Hence,
"are acceptable. Further details on commercial participation are in the FAQ."
or even "There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ."
would read better. Where *are* the wannabe copy-editors in this group when we need 'em, eh? ;-)
Stefek
On 19 Oct 2003 11:10:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

I love it when suggestions come complete with cut'n'paste copy. I have revised the text to add the later wording. Thanks again.
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

Long-standing IETF habit, Phil - "suggestions for amendments welcome, please provide suggested revised text wherever possible". Makes for a more productive document revision cycle than just "I think section 3.4 isn't very clear" ;-)
[...]
The FAQ also makes clear that commercial advertising in this group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. Replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply