FAQ on Laptop screens?

Is there a good FAQ on laptop screen repairs anywhere? My wife's Medion laptop screen has suddenly gone dark (the image is still there if you shine a bright light at it, it's just doesn't glow).
I suspect it's bad news but it would be nice to know if there are any diy repair options.
Cheers.
Tim

shine
http://www.laptopsrepair.co.uk /

Almost certainly it's the backlight that's gone (think "built-in flourescent tube"). The outfit BigWallop points you at might b able to do an economic repair; whether that's sounder than buying a new machine will of course depend on your current state of flushidity and the age of the machine. I ass-U-me it's out of warranty, right?
Stefek
snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Thanks Stefek (and to others). As you guessed, it is out of warranty. After a discussion with Medion, I've been advised that it's probably a broken screen inverter which if I was a bit more confident about sourcing parts and replacing, I might have had a go at myself. As the laptop isn't *that* old, I've wimped out and decided to entrust it to Medion who were cheaper than http://www.laptopsrepair.co.uk /.
Cheers.
Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Took mine to bits, jiggled ribbon cable = hey presto. Alternatively, the screen blanking switch that would usually operate as the lid is closed may have got stuck. A couple of our works laptops had this fault and were easily fixed.
--
Toby.

Sounds like the backlight
Try uk.comp.sys.laptops