Fancy TRVs

I find TRVs ineffective but have been looking at some like the above, a wall mounted thermostat linked to a trv.

But they seem to work off batteries, surely these can't last very long.

Anyone any experience of these?

Reply to
R D S

You can also get traditional TRVs with a temperature sensing phial connected to the valve head via a capillary tube so the sensed temperature can be more representative of the room.

No batteries.

Reply to
Graham.

I like the sound of that, didn't know they existed, cheers.

Reply to
R D S

I have some of these

(The "Radio Exhaust" is actually a radiator bleeding device, and this combination is £10 cheaper than one without the freebie)

No issues with batteries, and they seem to work as anticipated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You are entirely correct, they are useless. The sensor is affected more by the nearby radiator than the room temperature.

However, you can get them with remote sensors/bulb that do work, (no batteries purely mechanical) It has a sensor linked to the valve with a capillary tube.

They are about 50% extra. Google remote sensor TRV

harryagain

"harryagain" wrote in news:l2j7mv$2is$9 @dont-email.me:

The problem I find with TRV's is that the scale graduations are too course. A 2 or 3 degree difference is all within about a 10th of a increment. I find it useful to set them by listening carefully. Get the room to the right temp and then slowly turn the control down until you hear the flow being throttled or stopped. (works for me - if I listen carefully) Then lock the control knob - or mark it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Max. range 100 ms (with free visual contact)

I imagine that's meters not milliseconds, and the bit in brackets it chinglese for line-of sight (BICBW)

Reply to
Graham.

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 23:35 R D S wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Have a look here:

Automation-Systems

before going with a no-name B&Q thingy...

BTW - my school, like 30 years ago, had TRVs with wall mounted senders linked by capillary tube. Simple, no batteries.

Or did you want the timer functionality too?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm tempted by

and
but no experience.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

You only think that. When you open the valve up, the surge of hot water nearby shuts it down again pretty quickly.

Some times they are intalled on the cooler return pipe & sometimes with the sensor head horizontal to try to overcome the probelm.

Reply to
harryagain