fan wiring

Installed a new Vent Axia fan with timer today, only to find that the thing went on running forever after the light switch was turned off. Tried reversing the live and switch wires just in case, but that just made it a simple on/off operation. Went to set the timer to minimum and realised the diagram was different to the pcb, and there was nothing I could see that was adjustable. I reckon I might have been given the non-timer version (contrary to what the label on the unit says). That being the case, is it likely that it would carry on running after the light was switched off? The previous fan worked fine with this wiring (switch/neutral/live), so I must be missing something. I need to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I take the thing back on Monday, so any help appreciated.

Reply to
stuart noble

Not sure whether it relates to your problem or not but when I fitted an extractor recently I had to alter the wiring within the unit, which certainly wasn't mentioned in the instructions:

(or )

David

Reply to
Lobster

)

Thanks. My wiring setup is the same as yours was (fig.4 in your instructions) but the fact remains that the fan I have (allegedly the Silhouette 100T) has no timer adjustment on the PCB, so I'm assuming that I've been given the wrong unit. If the replacement doesn't work, they can shove it, and I'll order another Aidelle Loovent

Reply to
stuart noble

Ours has 2 internal pots: one for sensitivity, one for runtime. The sensitivity pot is impossible to get right, I can set it low but it'll fire if a light switch is activated (bum wiring?). Set too sensitive and it comes on when not needed because someone turned a light off, set it too deaf and the place is damp.

Reply to
Colum Mylod