Fan speed

I'd like to know/measure the speed (rpm) of a small electric 3 blade fan. Any easy ideas?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Have you got a multimeter that measures AC frequency ? If so, you might be able to cobble together something with a battery, photocell and a light source. Or you could rig it so it just clips a piece of card or something and compare by ear the pitch with comparison tones from the internet. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

F Murtz

Is it mains or battery?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, should have said it was standard mains. Two speed.

Reply to
AnthonyL

If the motor doesn't have any brushes, and there's no gears it'll be

3000rpm or slightly below. Some of them are 1500rpm, and they have 4 pole motors.,

Otherwise, the model aircraft bods use non-contact tachometers, and for a one-off measurement, you might be able to borrow one from a local model shop.

Reply to
John Williamson

Light beam interruption and divide by three?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Put a thin white line on one blade. Photograph the fan whilst it rotates at various shutter speeds. Calculate the RPM from the angular movement of the line at each shutter speed. Average the result.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

From the motion blur, I like that. Don't use flash though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had a similar thought and, convinced someone must have written an app to do it, went looking in both the Android and iOS market. Was somewhat surprised no one has written one yet. Unless the camera hardware isn't up to it ;)

My programming skills certainly aren't! ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

What sort of motor is it? Very small motors are difficult to measure as the measuring device can disturb it.

Reply to
harryagain

On a related topic a guy I knew in the 60s who repaired cameras used to adjust rollerblind shutters by photographing a TV screen and counting the TV lines on the picture.

Who remembers the white square in the corner of the neg frame caused by the Zenit mirror not returning quickly enough?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It works to a point but the beginning and the end of the blur are hard to determine. I get around 3,400 rpm at low speed which could well be

3,000 rpm. I like the idea of having a laser tacho (not sure why, I just like the idea) as suggested by F Murtz so I've ordered one from amazon.uk at less than a tenner.
Reply to
AnthonyL

That's assuming it's synchronous or near synchronous. Lots of induction motors aren't, e.g. the shaded pole motors very often used for driving mains fans (they couldn't be speed switchable if they were synchronous).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

... but not fully concentrating I've just realised it is coming from China!

Reply to
AnthonyL