Fan heater running on Central Heating

Dense question of the day :)

I know these things exist because I sat looking at one in the docs waiting room, but I don't know what they are called. Basically a wall mounted fan heater that is plumbed in to the CH. Can anyone enlighten me on a name, or manufactuers, so I can find out where to get info please?

Cheers

Reply to
Danny Monaghan

Myson, the radiator people make them among others.

Look for fan convectors

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And Smiths. Signature & Sovereign series from 7 to 27 kBTU, 250 to 580 £rrp. Also Sureline series which replaces skirting boards. At City Plumbing; should be able to get 30% off if wearing scruffs.

Reply to
Toby

Ooooh, that sounds expensive, Mysons are circa 150quid at discounted heating:

, sorry can't be bothered 'tiny'ing it . . .

Reply to
fred

Yes, I have them. Do about 1.5KW on 60C water. Made by Smiths. Look for fan assisted convector or something on Google. Quite, but not totally silent. Mine say SMITHS HYDRONIC SFR-7 on the case.

One problem is they obviously heat the room a little even when the fan is off. The other is they need balancing, and don't come equpped with balancing valves. We used twin isolation valves that are *just* accessible when the front casing is removed. They are difficult to install - we had to chip out the studs a little - and work best when coupled to a room stat per room - these simply control the fans.

They were the best I could do to avoid dreadful wallspace eating radiators where underfloor heating was not possible, due to floor void being less than an inch (exposed oak joists below)

They are only JUST able to heat about 25 sq meters of very well insulated room per convector. One north room is a bit marginal in the depths of winter.

On balance they did the job pretty well and I don't mind the slight whirring. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR my Smith units were between 100 and 200 squids.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got mine at harrison mccarthy, they have a website.

You need a 22mm feed, and plenty of flow, and they are damn noisy things.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper