Fake Britain, Fake 17th IEE regs.

Its an OCR error. They don't photocopy it, they print it.

Reply to
dennis

there weren't any dangerous mistakes, if there were they would have used one as an example.

Reply to
dennis

In article ,

Reply to
Tim Streater

One house I used to live in, when you viewed even the very detailed maps, had the house mis-numbered. They had put numbers on something like one in five of the houses in a series of terraces, and somewhere the numbering went wrong.

Always wondered if that was one of their deliberate ones? After all, it was really easy to work out what they should have been.

Reply to
polygonum

There was one about cable sizing but can't remember if it was 35 changed to 25 or the other way round. May have been in the fake Onsite Guide.

What struck me is the inference that every installation is worked out individually from the Regs/On Site guide and not done, as we all know, by "rule of thumb". Rings 2.5, lights 1 (or 1.5 if it's "big"), cookers 6 etc...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not so much that, more that copyright law is all c*ck. It's law to protect business interest and profit at the expense of consumers and ordinary people. Unsuprising that it makes no sense in ordinary human and moral terms.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

Ah. But we didn't get the Gernam ones. They were cunningly concealed within the moire patterns.

Reply to
Richard

That argument could be applied to the NHS and lots of other 'free' services. Some poeple *do* apply this argument to the NHS etc. but I'm definitely in favour of us all paying for things like this even though a small minority benefit far more than others.

Reply to
cl

On 13/08/2014 08:50, Tim w wrote: ...

It exists to protect ordinary people, like artists and writers, who would have no right to earn money from their efforts if they did not have copyright in their works.

Reply to
Nightjar

The Landranger map of the Isle of Wight contains a number of names (of the cartographers, presumably) embedded in the cliffs on the SE coast of the island ...

(I can't access the map on-line at the moment, so can't provided a link to the precise area.)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Bing maps have an OS option.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I don't think the NHS is at all similar. No-one makes heavy use of NHS services to run a business in the way that commercial users of the OS do. And free access for individual enthusiasts is more like free cakes than free health care.

But as I said, I can merely see the argument, not agree with it. Making the OS data universally available is likely to have benefits for the many, even if only the few are directly involved, as people come up with new applications that would not have been thought of - or thought of so soon - otherwise.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

/Its an OCR error. They don't photocopy it, they print it. /q

Not an OCR error. In the tests it was turned off....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

So does streetmap.co.uk

Reply to
Dave W

I think they were talking about capacity of conduits, so its not going to make any difference as you can't get 35 mm conduit anyway.

What gets me is how they are stated as the regs when they are just the

*minimum* standard allowed. There are many ways to do stuff better than the regs and without costing much more.
Reply to
dennis

From the "Elephant in the room" series.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Yeah, that had me 'foxed' for a few seconds too before I figured it to be a typo for "someone's".

Reply to
Johny B Good

Maybe if enough people ask for it (because it's in the Regs) someone'll start selling it on ebay.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

35mm conduit wouldn't be much of a problem - just relabel 1" bore steel pipe, which is 35mm OD. Some of the conduit fittings might be more difficult though.
Reply to
Nightjar

Ah, back in business, so here we go:

Just right of 'Whale Chine' you'll find MIKE and just above 'Blackgang' you'll find BILL!

I think there are a few more if you look for them.

Reply to
Terry Casey