failed mousepad button

The left button on the mousepad has suddenly quit and could prove expensive. Is there a way to program a keyboard key to get a left button action Sony PGC-3D1M, 4 years old. An external mouse works fine.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

therustyone has brought this to us :

Pull it apart and fit another button switch, they are a standard part.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

therustyone explained on 15/10/2012 :

Either as Harry says or look on Ebay for a replacement.

Reply to
John

A temporary solution would be to swap the left and right buttons in mouse settings in control panel and use the "windows" context key* on the keyboard for the now lost right click.

*usually the one on the right of the space bar.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Any particular reason why you can't just use "tap to click"?

Reply to
Lee

thanks for all the suggestions. Weirdly it sprung back to life this evening after two days on the blink and just after posting the query. Is it possible to get a virus that zaps mouse buttons? Yes I can tap to click and get by for most things. What I couldn't do is click and drag, such as moving program windows when they overlap. Or am I just cack handed.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

after two days on the blink and just after posting the query. Is it possible to get a virus that zaps mouse buttons?

click and drag, such as moving program windows when they overlap. Or am I just cack handed.

Came across an odd issue on a white MacBook recently. The external mouse started playing up - odd things like moving for no reason, or not moving when it should. (Partner never got on with mouse pad so always used external mouse.) Eventually tried removing the battery - and that resolved the problem - both mousepad and external mouse worked fine.

Turns out that the battery had swollen - only a little - but enough to apply some pressure below the mousepad - and, effectively, kept pressing one or other switches.

Obviously need to consider replacing the battery - but for now simply using it only on mains.

Reply to
polygonum

after two days on the blink and just after posting the query. Is it possible to get a virus that zaps mouse buttons?

click and drag, such as moving program windows when they overlap. Or am I just cack handed.

I wouldn't read anything into this but pure coincidence, but I had non-working left mouse button on a Sony Vaio that mysteriously started to work again after cleaning the thing of a couple of viruses. I think that was simply down to repeated pressing of the button though...

I find double tap to click and drag works just fine for me, but I can see how some could find it awkward. Prefer Apple's idea with their multi touch pad, never want to use an "ordinary" one again after using that ;)

Reply to
Lee

after two days on the blink and just after posting the query. Is it possible to get a virus that zaps mouse buttons?

click and drag, such as moving program windows when they overlap. Or am I just cack handed.

I didn't even know you could tap,tap and drag on the pad. Works fine. Must get around to reading the manuals some day!

rusty

Reply to
therustyone