Extractor hood for new oven

I have an opportunity to re-model my kitchen and put the cooker on an outside wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

A quick glance at the extractor hood market shows a vast array of models and prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

Cheers.

Chris

Reply to
stickleback49

We love our Miele. It works well and looks great.

Phian

Reply to
Phian

We are starting to look at the moment. Things so far:

  • Check the built in lighting is effective and the bulbs are easy to change
  • Dishwashable filters
  • Wider is better
Reply to
David WE Roberts

Just to add that we are also specifying a whole kitchen extractor - ceiling mounted fan - to get anything the hob hood doesn't. Reminded of this just now when cooking sausages rolled in bacon in the oven and seeing the smoke coming out into the kitchen.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

I'm looking as well too. There is much disagreement about the extraction rate required. It would be a pain to have a lowest setting too fast or a highest setting too slow. Most seem to have 3 speeds which are implemented using taps on the motor. I would love to have in infinitely variable speed control instead. Also of course the length and type of ducting will affect the effective extraction rate. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

If you are going for a 900 or 1000 mm cooker you will find that hoods to suit cost an arm and a leg. For my big cooker I've got a pair of 600 hoods side by side: overlaps the cooker nicely, only downside was the need to sort out the ducting (I think you can get Tees now, I have two rectangular ducts one over the other going to a single outlet).

Reply to
newshound

How much side overlap should you allow? We are installing a 750mm hob so a 600mm hood is too small.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Oh, my Lady Wife has requested a picture of the installation to check aestheitcs and I'd quite like a look as well, if you could oblige. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Oh, my Lady Wife has requested a picture of the installation to check aestheitcs and I'd quite like a look as well, if you could oblige. :-)

Cheers

Dave R [Just posted this to the wrong part of the thread]

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Urg - wrong post. Sorry.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

We are going for 700mm hob I think, and a 900mm hood. We want a bit of overlap so we can put the electric steamer next to the hob and catch most the steam ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

so we can put the electric steamer next to the hob and catch most the steam !

Also useful when slicing onions!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Never got the hang of these newfangled dropboxes, but this is a valid email if you want to give me your address

Steve

Reply to
newshound

I have found some 900mm and 1000mm hoods at a reasonable price - between £125 and £150. e.g.

everyone seems to be pushing the more expensive ones in the bigger sizes. Presumably if you have an oversize hob you are 'trendy' and therefore rich.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Just noted that the sizing of the extractor fans is based on room size, to get between 8 and 12 changes of air per hour. Now if the fan is only clearing fumes from the hob this doesn't make sense - it should be the same size for the same hob. The main issue would not to be too powerful so you aren't sucking too strongly for a small room.

So are these cooker hoods supposed to act as whole room extractor fans? Not usually best positioned for this IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

": Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Relay Denied [BODY] "

So something doesn't like your/my adress - unless my address has been blacklisted on your server.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

try moc.tenretnitb@elbbiw through your mirror server

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Not really an issue, most of them have three speeds so with my double system I have six choices! Will try to sort out a link to let me post some pictures for you, but am off on hols on Saturday.

Reply to
newshound

Sorry, don't understand. Will try to post images somewhere.

Reply to
newshound

wall. So I thought I'd go for a gas hob and an extractor hood.

prices. Has anyone been down this road recently and can make any recommendations or point out any pitfalls?

I have activated carbon filter in our extract and they are £80 a pop ..... avoid these if you can The mesh grease filter is fine ... just stick it in dishwasher.

Reply to
Rick Hughes