Extractor fans in Loos and bathrooms

What do the building regs demand in the way of extraction in loos and bathrooms? If there is fixed ventilation (ie airbrick or window with a fixed vent) does one have to fit one of the fans that come on with the light ? (wife objects to the noise!)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I don't blame her.

We reckoned that if there's a window, as there is in our bathroom (separate lav with a window and no fan), the light isn't pulled on during the day so it's pointless. Even if there's no window you don't need a fan to work on every entry to the room - what if you just go in to comb your hair, for instance?

We bought (thanks to a recommendation on this group) a rh activated low wattage Vent Axia which only works when it's needed - i.e. when steam is generated. It's fitted into the airbrick and can be manually controlled if necessary.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll agree totally with Mary (except that I don't have any hair to comb - at least not enough) - RH but also get the manual pull cord so that any poo smells can be ejected. Time will come when the machines will detect those too but we haven't got to that yet !

I got two off an Ebay seller for something like =A325 each and they have both worked fine.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I'll agree totally with Mary (except that I don't have any hair to comb - at least not enough)

Nor has Spouse, except that what he has is very long, but his beard is long, far more of those hairs have to be swept than any other kind :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll bet they have in Japan, with all their all-singing, all dancing lavatorial acoutrements...

David

Reply to
Lobster

In addition to rapid ventilation (your windows) you have to provide mechanical extraction rated at not less than 15l/s. The mechanical extraction can be operated manually, so in theory, it doesn't need to be linked to the light switch.

Reply to
Under-the-cosh