Extractor Fan Switch

I would like to replace the fan extracter switch which looks something like this

this if it's OK.
this OK?

Reply to
Chris Spyrou

No. Assuming the fan has a run-on timer, you need a 3-pole isolating switch. I am not aware of any 'pretty' versions of that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The best you might manage is this:

perhaps one of these:
I doubt you'll find one in a chrome finish. Maybe buy a white one and either cover it with something like chrome fablon (sticky back plastic for all Blue Peter fans), or maybe spray it with a silver or chrome paint. On second thoughts, skip the idea of painting it, metallic paint could do wonders for causing shorts.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

I maybe wrong but I'm sure the guy at TLC said it was OK, but I wasn't too convinced. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply to
Chris Spyrou

Just found this.

sure who sells them though.

Reply to
Chris Spyrou

I have a nice brass one from Heritage, so most peple do 'fancy' ones somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Chris Spyrou" wrote | Just found this. |

| Not sure who sells them though.

Most electrical wholesalers will be able to special order it for you if you ask nicely whilst waving some folding stuff.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nope, not at all!

Agreed, however, a call to a proper wholesaler might work (wont name names, i work for one of them..), I dont recal having seen one, but somebody like focus sb or hamilton may do one. Beware though if its in a bathroom at may tarnish fast!

Hrmmm, quality advice there then! ;)

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Now what would it be doing in a bathroom apart from breaking the regs?

*

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sitting beyond any of the numbered Zones, or (from memory) in Zone 3, i.e. being far away enuff from any bath/shower to be more than probably out of reach.

Remember, the Regs now allow ordinary switchen in bathrooms when far enough away from the bath/shower - the blanket prohibition is gone-gone-gone. Sockets (other than shaver) still a no-no, but FCUs for fixed appliances are OK if far enough away.

(Pauses to consult OSG's Table 8.1 and Figures 4d/4e...) Yup, it's Zone 3 and outside-the-Zones which are OK for ordinary wiring accessories, barring sockets. And that means, *roughly*, more than 60cm (2 feet) horizontally away from the vertical which is the nearest edge of bath/shower enclosure. More roughly still, "out of reach".

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba