extractor fan rubber mounting kits

Hi,

I have read here about using some sort of rubber mounting when you fit an extractor fan, so that the vibration of the fan doesn't shake the wall/ceiling it is mounted on, transferring the noise. The problem is I don't know the correct name for these rubber fixings, so google is not my friend. Can anyone tell me what they are called and where to get some?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

In message , Fred wrote

Not the cheapest but once you can identify some key words search Ebay etc.

Example from a 2 Ebay second search

Reply to
Alan

In message , Fred writes

Typing "Anti vibration mounts" into google will bring endless hours of fun for you to while away those summer evenings with

Reply to
geoff

Tap washers. Dont forget to use 2 per fixing screw, one each side of the fan case plastic.

NT

Reply to
NT

For want of better materials to hand, I made a 40cm-square 'mounting table' for a fairly big loft extractor fan by sandwiching four foam scouring pads between a couple of pieces of 18mm chipboard, all held together with hot glue. It works fine - the fan is sitting on top of a ceiling joist, and is inaudible in the bathroom beneath.

I haven't had so much success with rubber isolators. Alternating materials of high and low stiffness in a sandwich is how some 'proper' vibration isolators work.

I think the other trick for a loft fan is to hang it on a loop of nylon string at each end, suspended from the roof structure (not in mid-air, just so it doesn't touch anything which will conduct the sound).

Dave

Reply to
DaveN

do consider longevity of materials.

NT

Reply to
NT

These can reduce conducted noise, though it is always possible that you might create a system which has a resonance in the frequency band(s) the extractor produces. What you will not do is reduce air movement noise.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Its what he asked for

and ...

strangely enough, its what they use in e.g. warm air fans just for the purpose

Reply to
geoff

Thanks. I may try the tap washers before looking for anything else as they will be easy to get hold of. BTW, when was the last time anyone changed a tap washer? I can't remember having to.

Reply to
Fred

Also theyre very long lasting, which is important.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yes, it was noise conducted through the wall that I was trying to avoid. Any noise of the air on its way through the ducting, I hope will be minor in comparison and I can live with that. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred