Extractor fan in bathroom.

In our experiance the window solution never really worked. The bathroom has one permenant vent like the OPs, plus a large fanlight window that is always open (although partially obscured by the window blind). If you had a shower the condensation would still hang about for ages.

After switching to mains pressure hot water that made the situation even worse and a fan became a requirement. The small 4" fan actually does far better than I expected.

Reply to
John Rumm

You need to let air in. A gap under the bathroom door is one way. I remember one regular poster a few years ago mentioning the plasterboard on a stud wall being pulled down due to a lack of air entering a room and the fan creating a vacuum.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well I think it means you should think about it before doing it

The went is this case would have ended up on the shower wall which wasn't really welcome. It presumably was to provide some fixed ventilation into the bathroom or WC - can't remember - we knocked them together.

The fan was going to provide suitable ventilation to the room, and the outside vent was still left in place. Though the house had other air bricks to provide ventilation of the cavity

Reply to
chris French

On 27 Aug 2006 14:13:36 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

Along with others, I disagree. A small in-line fan which extracts directly above the bath does a good job of removing much of the steam all year round. Replacement air comes from diagonally opposite.

When out of the bath there is usually little point burning electricity to remove the last of the humidity, that is what the window opens for.

Reply to
David Hansen

Quite probably due to an inadequate supply of air into the room. My humidistat operated fan works fine, but I ought to get around to fitting a door on the bathroom some time.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Ours is fitted in the wall vent which isn't near the bath but over the sink. The humidistat itself, however, is close to the bath - isn't that more important?

Ours doesn't but the door does and is usually open - except when I'm in the bath :-)

There's some humidity in all air in the house though if only from breathing, that doesn't mean it's damp.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It takes training to read what you have actually written, instead of what you thought you had written.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"