Extractor fan ducting 125mm to 100mm

Hi,

Can you help ? The overhead extractor fan that I've purchased to go over our hob has a plastic adapter on it. This attaches to the extractor hood and goes out on circular 125mm (~5"). Although there are parts an accessories for 125mm there are far more for 100mm (~4") to build the ducting to the outside world.

Do adapters exist that take 125mm circular to 100mm circular, or to push my luck :-P 125mm circular with 90 degree bend to rectangular

100mm x 55mm ?

-> If so where ?

I've already found my bodge solution and that is to use a 100mm threaded hose connector with plenty of ducting sealing tape ! But I thought we'd try and do the correct way first.

Cheers - Oliver.

Reply to
Oliver Brearley

Do you really want to do this? The kit will expect 125mm and by cutting that down to 100mm you will be severely restricting the airflow. I have just taken delivery of a new cooker hood with 125mm outlet and while I agree that it's more difficult to get 125mm ducting stuff than 100mm - especially with the ducting in aluminium which I wanted because it's going to be visible - it is possible. Try:

I found it astonishingly difficult to get hold of their stuff even when I had identified the exact part numbers from the catalogue - nearly all the stockists suggested by the manufacturer said they weren't (stockists that is) or had a few bits only in stock and couldn't/wouldn't order the less common stuff for me. Domus did eventually point me to Starkey Systems on

01905 611041 or
and after a couple of failures the stuff arrived mail order.
Reply to
rrh

It depends. IIRC, the restriction is about 2.5 times for 100mm pipe. So if you'r using 1m of 100mm pipe, it'll be similar to 2.5m of 125mm pipe.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Not too sure of your layout, but better to go up in duct size than down! That way you get 6" (150) stuff - readily available and (more importantly perhaps) you decrease rather than increase the velocity for a given air flow - therefore should be less noisy.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Thanks to all that have replied, you've given me plenty to think about. I should have provided some details of the ducting run I'm thinking of doing. Some of the points made would be very valid on a larger run, but I'll be sure to consider them in this run that is just less than 2 meters. To give you an idea of where I up to on this 'do-er' up property, please see the URL below.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply.

- Oliver.

Reply to
Oliver Brearley

Screwfix part 10684