Extractor fan - Do I have to fit a fuse?

I fitted a vent axia this morning. The circuit diagrams showed a fuse apart from where the fan cam one with the light.

Ada.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

OK, I give in! I'll fit the fuse, and the isolator.

There is a part of me however, that thinks that if a fuse is so important, then why didn't the manufacturer fit one in the fan in the first place?

So the wiring goes like this:

Feed from CU -------- fused spur -------- junction box ------------- isolator -------- fan

-------------lights

-------------switch

tom.harrigan

OK, I'll fit a fuse, and an isolator.

If a fuse is so critical, why isn't it built into the fan?

tom.harrigan

You could ask the same question about immersion heaters or electric kettles or vacuum cleaners or central heating boilers - some have a fuse in the FCU and others have a fuse in the plug top.

The answer is that the fuse is a standard type, is located in a standard place with a straightforward method of access and it's therefore easy to check that the right fuse is fitted and easy to change a fuse without dismantling the appliance.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Greenwood Airvac state in their installation instuctions "when supplied from a 5 amp lighting circuit no local fuse is needed" And that does include 6A MCBs

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hmmm, news to me!

However my bathroom extractor fan failed a few years ago. When I took it apart there clearly had been a little fire. I chased the supliers for a while as I considered this serious and felt it warranted some attention. But I was stone-walled and ignored at every stage. I assumed my case was a one off and so I let it slip.

I am rather preeved now, to discover this is rather common.

I suspect that it was not the fan that caught fire but the timer circuit that controls the fans run on. Every one of these I have looked at has a badly discoloured PCB showing signs of major overheating.

These circuits are *ALL* OBVIOUSLY badly designed... which seems odd.

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie

I wouldn't ask the same question, because my immersion heater is not fused, and kettles and other portable appliances are for other reasons.

The fuse may be of a standard "type", but it is not a standard rating, quite unlike a plug. It is not located in a standard place (where might that be). If it were located in an easily accessible obvious position on a fan it would be standard. I have been taking note of neighbours extractor fans due to my new found interest. So far 11 fans, 4 isolators, no fuses that I can find.

tom.harrigan

What other reasons?

Ah, you misunderstand my point. Sorry for the ambiguity on my part. I am suggesting that "The answer is that the fuse *(in an FCU or a plug top)* is a standard type, is located in a standard place", etc".

Reply to
Dave Osborne