Extractor Fan Backdraught Prevention

I have 3 extractor fans in my house - 2 have no backdraught prevention and therefore let a lot of cold air in, especially when the wind is in the wrong direction. One had air operated shutters in the duct but they flapped about noisily in windy weather, so I changed them for an outer grille with air operated flaps. That makes a racket too.

Does anybody know of a domestic 4" or 6" extractor fan for wall fitting that has effective, silent backdraught prevention?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

This one seems to have a solenoid-operated shutter:

Rob Morley

Reply to
Lobster

I had an Xplair where the shutter was solenoid operated, so not necessarily.

Reply to
Huge

seem to find them on 6" models, which would look too big in my small bathroom. I've seen 4" models without electrical operated shutters - but I assume these may clatter in the wind.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I hadn't considered that - I've only ever encountered fans with solenoid or airflow operated shutters. I assumed from the description that this would be the former, and qualified it with "seems to have".

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Rob, that looks like the sort of thing I need. It's a little bulkier than my present one, but maybe that's the price you have to pay to get rid of this annoying problem. Shame they don't seem to do a 4 inch one too

Rob Morley wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Vent-Axia? I have a Vent-Axia VA100 bathroom fan which has a shutter operated by a 'thermal motor' (expanding capsule heated by a ceramic PTC disc). It's very quiet in operation and the shutter opens and closes slowly, not with the clunk you get from a solenoid. This was installed ~12 years ago though, so might not still be available. And the thermal motor failed a couple of years ago and had to be replaced - no great trauma there though, I got a spare directly from V-A without difficulty and with change from ten quid.

Reply to
Andy Wade