Extractor fan

I will shortly be refurbishing a toilet with shower, currently it has problems with mould. The current state for ventilation is a small louvre type window approx 24 " high x 6" wide, it is my intention to replace this small window to a smaller size but have the top part with an extractor fan. Question... Is it ok to use a ceiling fan (as advertised) type extractor fan but in an inline configuration as it would be if replacing part of the louvre window. Would there be any issues with this? My thinking being a ceiling fan has vertical extraction but on the louvre window horizontal extraction.

Reply to
ss

Actually, mould is caused when damp is not removed. Though fitting an extractor can help, in some of the very old built on outside loos with showers I have seen, the only solution was a better form of insulation of the walls that go to the outside of the building. Condensation often happens before the humid air can be changed over. Besides, any flow that strong will cause a draft and if you are somewhat naked, its not present, so the folk tend to then fit a radiator which akes the condensation happen even faster in cold weather. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That will help, but I would also consider thermal insulation. If the room is poorly insulated, the cold walls will always be at risk of being below the dew point (pretty much a dead certainty in a shower room). You need to ensure you don't have cold walls. Even 1" of celotex/kingspan is enough to stop this (obviously use more if you have the space). Also, make sure the room is properly heated by the central heating (a towel rail covered in towels usually doesn't work well for heating - the quoted power output of a towel rail is when it's not being used as a towel rail;-). I'm doing one at the moment for a relative, and I'm installing underfloor heating, simply by snaking 10mm microbore up and down under the floorboards - very cheap and very effective. The return will be via the towel rail with a TRV and to provide the bleeding point. I've done similar before and it works very well.

Yes. However, it needs to be at least 600mm (IIRC) horizontally from the edge of the shower cubicle, or it needs to be designed for use in bath/showeroom Zone 2, or Zone 1 if the window is inside the shower cubicle (these are often low voltage and separate isolating transformer).

I would suggest picking one with automatic louvres, or a backdraft shutter. Also consider switching options, such as a run-on timer.

That makes no difference. If you are fitting it in the glass, then you need a fan suitable for glass fixing, which is very different from wall or ceiling fixing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The toilet /shower room is normally ok with condensation so I suspect the insulation is ok, it also has a radiator in it. The problem arises with my wife using it to shower in, wont open a window or she leaves evrything covered in water as she never sqeejees down the shower walls and then complains a month down the line about the mould forming. It is then cleaned up and a month later the cycle starts again. I am hoping by fitting an extractor that most of the steamy air can be extracted and at least reduce the mould problem. Wife training is another option but thats more difficult.

Reply to
ss

an option in theory anyway :) Spray it with bleach

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thats what I do first with vinegar and then bleach on a (approx) monthly basis.

Reply to
ss

A month seems a very long time to wait

NT