Extra long screws (like 300mm), are there such things?

I'm after some very long screws to enable me to get a grip in an old gatepost I'm trying to left out of the ground.

I've previously used the technique of using the hydraulic lift on my tractor pulling on screws put into the left over bit of post in the ground and it has worked well.

However this gatepost is somewhat bigger than I have attempted before and my biggest (120mm) screws don't give enough grip.

So I'm after something like a big woodscrew to get a grip in this post (it's broken below surface so I can't wrap things around it). Where can I get two or three very big screws?

Reply to
cl

Chris Hogg

I can see fairly small packs of 200mm like

but maybe they don't have enough thread

Reply to
Malcolm G

What about a length of threaded bar, point one end and square the other so a spanner can be used. Dont know if you would get enough grip from the threads though.

Reply to
ss

of-10/12898

Mainly for the image so you don't confuse 'em with Coach Bolts which have a machine thread not wood thread. Agricultral suppliers general have big ones.

Not possible to dig around it and whack some 6" nails in to stop a strop sliding off? Or even your existing screws.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Coach screws are probably what you want for that application.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Have you tried putting them in diagonally?

Chip away some of the wood until you get to something a bit solider?

And if that doesn't work get some huge coach bolts like the others here have said, but that'll cost ya!

Reply to
GB

Wow! :-)

I think I should be able to find something there, and they do small quantities.

Thank you.

Reply to
cl

Yes, I know they're called coach screws, but the longest that I can find on Screwfix are 160mm.

It might come to that but if I can pull it up with screws in the end it will be less work.

Reply to
cl

Any disused railway lines nearby? may still be some of the screws that held the track components down on the sleeper lying about in the undergrowth.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Thread hijack alert!

I have a long run of softwood post and rail fencing where the majority of the posts have rotted 6" below ground level. The rails are sound but get damaged during removal. Yes, I know. Hacksaw down the back!

I have two ideas:-

Cannibalise some sound posts into wedge ended stubs, whack them in at the back and bolt through.

Or, make up a *scissors* grab as used in forestry to grip the broken stub and carefully pull them out using the farm loader.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Why can't you just dig down one side of it and lift it out as normal?

Reply to
Phil L

Good for long coach bolts.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Screwfix sell item 45409 which is 300mm long

However there are better items -

I used 300mm variants These are hex head ... only thread for first 75mm ... and available in multiple gauges & lengths .... very strong items. Known by several names ... Timberlock Screws, Timberfix etc.

I bought mine in local Jewsons they had longer lengths in stock

Reply to
Rick Hughes