Extra Light Question

Hi

I want to add a extra light to my stairs so that when.

I switch on rather than having one light come on there would be two.

Currently its a two way light.

Can I run another cable from the existing light to a the new one like:

Switch Light Switch [ ]-----------------(%)---------------[ ] | | | (%)

Reply to
Kris

Spider

Kris scribbled :

Yes, just make sure you pick up on the switched live and not the permanent live. If its in a ceiling rose then it will be in an outer terminal (same as the flex to the lampholder). It will most probably be a black cable with red sleaving if its twin and earth cable.

Reply to
Gary

Not in the ceiling roses that I've dealt with! I've always found that the switched live and neutral connections to the lampholder are at the two extremities of the strip of screw terminals - the two wires in the flex to the lampholder wrap around strain relief posts.

The permanent live (if there is one - not all ceiling roses have this) has always been in the central section of the strip of screw terminals.

Perhaps I misunderstood your suggestion though?

Not necessarily though. For example on some lighting circuits I've dealt with there have been two 1mm T&E feeds to the ceiling rose. I don't think you can predict with any certainty what the colour of the permanent live is - it's a case of testing with appropriate equipment (DVM, multimeter, etc).

Returning to the OP's original question for a moment - if this is a job where you aren't sure of the wiring regulations are you sure it's something you should be taking on? There are other possible issues to consider such as routing the cable between light fittings, possibly burying of connectors in inaccessible locations, etc.

Fiddling with electrical installations is dangerous, and whilst the end result might work there is always the possibility that a hazard could be unintentionally created for others.

PoP

PoP

PoP scribbled :

You will find 3 terminal strips in a cieling rose SL - L - N (switched live, live, neutral) so as I said the switch live will be found in the outer terminal strip along with the flex to the lampholder - the centre is a permanent live.

Yep I know, see above

I think so!

In a cieling rose you will most likely find 2 or 3 twin and earths, if its 2 then its the end point on a lighting circuit, one T+E will be a feed (L+N) the other will be stich wire (L+SW) If there are 3 then there will be a feed in, feed out and a switch wire. The switch wire could contain twin reds but not many people use this cabel but most likely it will be a red and black. Red connects to the live in the cieling rose (centre terminal) and the black (with red sleaving indicating its a live cable) connects to the outer terminal in the cieling rose with the brown flex cable which goes to the lampholder.

Reply to
Gary

Thank's Spider,Gary

ATB

Kris

Reply to
Kris

I think we are in 100% agreement on all counts :)

PoP

PoP

Hi Pop I am the original poster and I am aware of the danger of electricity and as I said in my post I have installed a ring main 3 actually all three were checked by the local electricity board and passed with flying colors.

I am sensible enough to deal with the other *issues and wouldn't even think of *burying connectors in inaccessible locations.*etc

I don't *fiddle with anything that I am unsure of *especially electricity I would always have a competent sparkie to check anything that I have done is ok.

I posted a question on how to do something and would it work I know now thank's to a couple of guys that it can be done and that it will work.

Thank's for your concern Pop and err your advice I will go ahead and do all the work then get a sparkie I know to check it for me.

If that's ok by you that is.:-)

ATB

Kris

Reply to
Kris

On 01 Jan 2004, PoP wrote

I think you probably did. I read Gary's comment to mean that the "switched live" was in an outer terminal -- that is, the "it" in the second sentence seems to refer to the switched live (the one the OP needs to make sure he picks up on).

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Harvey Van Sickle scribbled :

10/10 for Harvey :0) Thats exactly what I meant, but to be fair to Pop he also realises that now.
Reply to
Gary

I dunno about that ;)

Apologies if my earlier post sounded confrontational, it wasn't intended. But we do get one or three people on this newsgroup where you do feel that maybe they've gone a bit further with the DIY enthusiasm than is safe for them or their families.

And those people might not post requests either, but read someone else's response and think "well I can do that!". Hence words of caution are usually a good idea.... :)

PoP

PoP

No apologies necessary Pop I am awake now that my head vice as been removed........just had a little to much (no pun intended) Pop very early this morning.

I understand what your saying Pop.

No ill feelings eh ? :-)

We are still in day one of the new year aren't we so I can wish you a happy new year to you and yours.

Sheesh my head still hurts %-(

ATB

Kris

Reply to
Kris

I WILL TRY NOT TO SHOUT TOO LOUD AT YOU THEN!!!!! ;)

None at all. I occasionally manage to trample on people's toes but hardly ever is it deliberate.....

Same to you...

IT WILL GET BETTER SOON!!!!

PoP

PoP