extra layer of plasterboard

i'm installing a false ceiling in what will be a coffee shop. our sitting room is directly above. so far we've put in a timber frame with 100mm of acoustic rockwool flexi between the joists, there is an airgap above that (150mm). above that the original lath and plaster ceiling, above that is deadening, its a victorian house (no idea about how in tact this is as in my experience lifting the floor when CH/ rewiring gets done a lot is removed), and finally floorboards (no carpet)

i am attempting to take what *practical* measures i can to soundproof. would an extra layer of plasterbaord be worth the effort?

also i'm confused about the fire rating. BC made no mention of a fire rated ceiling when the plans were approved, however the ceiling does seperate differnent "occupancies"... and what if we sold the shop or house at a later date?

double layer of plasterboard - or not worth it?

Reply to
mcmook

It's one of the most cost effective 'sound proofing' methods.

I must admit to being surprised there were no fire reg stipulations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:36:55 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" mused:

I'd still double board for fire resistance anyway as someone will pick up on it at some point.

Reply to
Lurch

definitely worth it

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can get 15mm sound deadening plaster board (I got mine from Jewsons) @ £8 per sheet delivered, that makes a hell of a difference compared to normal

15mm board. Be carefull when putting up as is quite heavy compared to a normal sheet. I used it when redoing the kitchen to stop sound passing into the bedroom above.
Ian_m

If you go for it, do make sure that the joints are staggered versus the first layer of plasterboard - would make a big difference.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Worth it certainly in my opinion.

Reply to
John Rumm

And if you want to go to extra expense lay fibre batts on the floor above and 1/2 chipboard over that then ply on top again.

Don't overlook the importance of having solid doors as opposed to modern crap egg boxes. I am assuming there is a doorway interconnecting. Double doors will almost eliminate all sound.

But the double layer of PBd (use the pink fireproof stuff) is by far the most effective single thing to do and probably the cheapest option.

Good luck.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer