extra 22mm takeoff on a cylinder

I just bought an Albion superduty CF120 cylinder & notice that there's an extra (undocumented) 22mm connection near the top of the cylinder on the cylinder body.

Is this to provide an essex style takeoff for a pump?

If I want to use this, how do I shape the end of the 22mm pipe going into the cylinder to make it perform as an essex flange?

I'm a bit disappointed to see with this cylinder that the cold water connection is 22mm as well - 28mm being recommended by my pump manufacturer...

Reply to
jjj

Yep.

You don't. You just connect up to it. Simple as that.

Take 28mm right up to the cylinder. That will improve matters.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Any diagrams I've looked at of Essex flanges show a pipe going into the centre of the cylinder, sometimes curving up, and looks as though it's been cut at an angle at the end - presumably to stop bubbles getting collected?

jim

Reply to
jjj

An Essex is just a port cut into the cylinder side. A Surrey makes one port into two. An Essex will have no adverse affects. It is nice to have a pipe bent upwards to always take hot water from the top, but not necessary.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OK thanks for clearing that up. Makes the job a lot easier.

Jim

Reply to
jjj