external wall insulation

I have a big solid brick gable end wall on the side of my house with no win= dows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a shared= passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could be is= sues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

Anyway, the installed system and companies seem to be a rip-off to me, and = this is a DIY group.

Anything to stop me:

  1. Getting a load of celotex/kingspan seconds (say 50mm or 75mm) covered wi= th stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intended for re= ndering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

  1. Rendering it (or getting a renderer in). Anyone know about the thin-coat= flexible modified renders that I think they use ? How durable are these (likely to get hit with a wheelbarrow on occasion) ?

  2. Cladding it with some type of siding - would help it it looked vaguely l= ike render or brick).

This should be miles cheaper than getting a "system" installed. Anyone done something like this ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

indows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a shar= ed passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could be = issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

d this is a DIY group.

with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intended for = rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

at flexible modified renders that I think they use ?

like render or brick).

Whats the point of number 3? I darent ask what the quotes were.

NT

Reply to
NT

windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a sh= ared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could b= e issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

and this is a DIY group.

d with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intended fo= r rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

coat flexible modified renders that I think they use ?

ly like render or brick).

It should have been an OR with 2. Rendering or cladding as two options.

Are you a bit tetchy today ;-? Its sometimes hard to infer the tone from ty= ped correspondance. The quotes are of the sarcastic variety related to the modern trend of comp= anies packaging things into "systems" that suddenly cost twice the price of= their component "parts". Oops, I used quotes again. Sorry. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Indeed - something I have been looking into a bit of late.

That certainly would appear to be one option. The problem I found is that for larger areas, the price of the metal lath makes quite an addition to the cost.

Some of the systems (like the Kingspan one) seem to use a fibreglass mesh covering.

I get the impression they are quite durable - although not sure how strong they will be subjected to point loads like that.

I quite like the idea of a thin coat system that could be applied with a Tyrolean gun or similar leaving a slightly textured roughcast render type of finish.

There are some posh "looks like brick" claddings out there designed to make exterior insulation on traditional brick facias look a bit more appealing. I doubt they are cheap though.

I just phoned out local insulation supplier. From the quick chat I had, they have a PIR foam board with a fibreglass mesh already bonded to it. I am waiting for a call back from their technical guy to find out a bit more detail.

Will report back shortly.

Reply to
John Rumm

indows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a shar= ed passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could be = issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

I wondered about this in a similar situation. Does anyone own the passageway? Sometimes peoplehave a right to pass down it but nobody actually owns it. In that case, I guess you could argue that you have not obstructed it. Why not download the deeds of nearby houses (fro mland registry) and see if any of them includes it.

if you already have a sewer vent pipe (for example) on that wall you might argue that you will not be obstructing it any more than it is already.

but if someone owns the passageway they might object to you taking a bit of their land.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a sh= ared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could b= e issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

Its between two houses, both which have a gate leading off it to the back g= ardens. I suspect the whole passageway is shared, i.e. we don't own half ea= ch, we each share all of it. In which case, the neighbour would have to agr= ee to lose upto 100mm. I suspect such an agreement would pre-authorise them= to do the same in the future. Would have to check the loss of 200mm did no= t unduly reduce amenity of the passageway. Neighbour is an old lady who might be wary of agreeing to anything. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

no windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a = shared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could= be issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

, and this is a DIY group.

red with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intended = for rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

n-coat flexible modified renders that I think they use ?

uely like render or brick).

not afaik

mpanies packaging things into "systems" that suddenly cost twice the price = of their component "parts".

no price then. not to worry.

NT

Reply to
NT

h no windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against = a shared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there cou= ld be issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

me, and this is a DIY group.

vered with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intende= d for rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

hin-coat flexible modified renders that I think they use ?

aguely like render or brick).

companies packaging things into "systems" that suddenly cost twice the pric= e of their component "parts".

Hoho, a misunderstanding worthy of Curb your Enthusiasm (well not quite). I though you meant my typed quote characters, not quotes as in "estimates". What a plonker am I ;=3D)

I think John may be back with some prices and ideas shortly.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a shared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could be issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

this is a DIY group.

with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intended for rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

thin-coat flexible modified renders that I think they use ?

like render or brick).

companies packaging things into "systems" that suddenly cost twice the price of their component "parts".

Well partly...

Spoke to the man, and he does 50mm thick PIR foam boards with a glass fibre mesh coating on them designed for this sort of application. The boards are £13.50 each for 8x4 sheets. (they possibly have a bitumen/paper coating on the reverse). Also has thicker sheets available

70mm ones at £18 IIRC.

If you have a nice flat wall, then they can be fixed direct to it with the nylon hammer in fixings with a render-able head. He also suggested that you could roller the render face with 1:5 PVA when they are laid flat the day before fixing - presumably to seal the surface.

Alas he was not as well up with the coating systems, beyond the one he used on his own place a few years previous. From the little research that I have done so far, it sounds like this was a "scrape back" thin render. i.e. one with the colour mixed right through it and a chalky appearance. The idea being that the top surface can wash away slowly to allow it to always look clean Hence if it ever looks like it needs a repaint, just hose it down, and it comes up like new etc. He was of the opinion its worth getting a bod/company familiar with these products to quote for just doing the rendering, after having fixed all your own insulation, and stop beads etc.

From his memory, the cost of the rendering was about a 1/3rd more than going the EML + traditional scratch and top coats, however by the time you included painting the render and the additional time it would take (scaffolding hire etc) it worked out about even - and this way there was no painting required.

So sounds like more research on render options is required.

Reply to
John Rumm

ith no windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is agains= t a shared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there c= ould be issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

o me, and this is a DIY group.

covered with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, inten= ded for rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

thin-coat flexible modified renders that I think they use ?

vaguely like render or brick).

f companies packaging things into "systems" that suddenly cost twice the pr= ice of their component "parts".

oh :) no worries

NT

Reply to
NT