external tiling onto timber

I have just created a balcony area by turning part of a bedroom into outdoor space, so the floor of the balcony is 18mm wbp over the original joists with reception room below. I need to finish with a surface suitable to walk on/ put a table & chairs on. The issues are waterproofing the area and, if tiles are used, making sure that if the grout fails or tiles crack with movement or frost/ thaw, any water that gets through doesn't pool and cause further damage. Any ideas how to waterproof first and what tiles to use/ system to lay them or alternative covering?

Reply to
chris

We've done ours with Speedliner - it's the spray on coating for the bed of pick-up trucks etc. It's tough (contains Kevlar) flexible, waterproof and sticks properly to ply. Look at

did ours, but there are agents all over.

We've also used it for lead replacement on bay windows and for a wet room!

auctions

My builder has since covered the ply with torch on felt as a waterproof layer (?) and is proposing to tile over that with quarry tiles or has suggested either adding another layer of felt then battens covered with liquid waterproof membrane running with the fall of the balcony onto which decking can be laid, thus avoiding pressure points on the felt or otherwise instead of the extra layer of felt, ashphalting first then decking. Any comments as to how waterproof a solution any of these will be and which if any is best?

Reply to
chris