External structural wood glue

What has gone wrong with this group ... This used to be such a good group with low spam ratio.

Not been here much lately and now find of full of SPAM & Flames .... a pity

Now the question, I need a very strong wood glue for external structural joinery (6x6 and 12x4 timbers) ... all timbers are tantalized, so must be able to work on treated wood

In the past I have opted for Cascamite .. it is reasonably gap filling, strong & waterproof. (and expensive) But as I have been using Cascamite for more than 25 years has the technology moved on ... is there something better ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

What has gone wrong with this group ... This used to be such a good group with low spam ratio.

Not been here much lately and now find of full of SPAM & Flames, full of adverts.

Now the question, I need a very strong wood glue for external structural joinery (6x6 and 12x4 timbers) ... all timbers are tanalized, so must be able to work on treated wood

In the past I have opted for Cascamite .. it is reasonably gap filling, strong & waterproof. (and expensive) But as I have been using Cascamite for more than 25 years has the technology moved on ... is there something better ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Better, polyurethane glues -

epoxies -

course better is never cheaper.

Reply to
dom

I've used Gorilla Glue successfully on (much smaller) joinery on a fence made from tanalised wood

Reply to
newshound

I used Screwfix polyurethane wood glue (of the foaming variety) to stuck together pairs of 4x2 tanalised timbers to create 4x4 posts for a pergola. This has been up and in good condition for the last 12 years so I think it's an acceptable technique.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've used Everbuild Pinkgrip Woodbond D4 in the past & found it very good

- although I bought mine from Toolstation - much cheaper.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dear Rick I recommend the resorcinol types - used for Glulam I got mine from "The Factory Crondal Lane, Dippenhall, Farnham, Surrey GU10 5DW 01252 725100" I used C-1711 from AKZO Nobel ADCO UK Ltd

Tanalised timber is normally not planed and you would need to take off the worst of the roughness to get a good joint

Chris

Reply to
mail

Try some of this stuff.

used it to assemble the M&T joints on some benches for outside. Brilliant stuff!

Reply to
1501

I thought that foaming polyurethane glues were not very good for external joinery .. great for tight fitting joints and fast cures, but strength not brilliant ? ... or at least that is what I read here.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Very waterproof, and capable of strong joints - but must be well matching surfaces and firmly clamped. If it foams and gap fills because there's space in the joint (rather than the external foaming of excess glue being pushed out of a tight joint), then not so great.

Reply to
dom

Have a look at Sikaflex, 261 or 221 IIRC

Marineflex is pretty much the same at a better price.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Technology may have, but the physics of wood haven't.No glue ever seems to work well outside with all that 'water and dry' cycling.

Carpenters used exopanding polyurethane. As the wood warped, it simply tore out..

Fortunately there are coach bolts as well..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher