External soil pipe

AIUI, some years ago the regs were changed to require waste & soil pipes to be internal to the building, with which my house, built in the 70s, complies. This means that a 200mm square duct is lost from the kitchen and bathroom.

I notice that a neighbour, in order to get more useable kitchen space, has routed his externally, and I am wondering if I could do the same, if the need arises.

Is this a Building Regs issue?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It is. They are required to be accessible, with a rodding point at each change of direction. This generally means *external* soil pipes everywhere.

Internal except dead straight runs is deprecated.

I know this, because I didn't want loads of ruddy manhole covers all round the house. The architect and building inspector were quite adamant however :-(

The general plan seemed to be a dead straight run from each tolit/downpipe out to a manhole, and a sort of falling ring main drain around the rear of the house.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They can go external.

Look at many new houses - the customer does not want boxing internal that taks up space, affects wall lines and requires removal and damage to decorations if there is a stack problem.

However, "Secured by Design" tends to require internal stacks to deny potential access for burgalrs etc.

Plastic fades quickly though, so choose the manufacturer carefully.

Anyway, who bothers with building regs for alterations to soil stacks?

dg

Reply to
dg

Ah, The vericals ARE OK for internal, as lomng as they have just the one bend at the base and a straight run to the rodding point ...BUT they don't like long underfloor runs, and junctuions under floors are absolutely out. They also then need rooding eyes at bends inside...

Seems I slightly misunderstood the issue.

Indeed. Also they CAN, if partially blocked, freeze badly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher