External insulation of houses.

Who here has had experience of external insulation for houses? Any information about it much appreciated!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Quite common in Germany. They use a cementitious plaster with fibres added. Another system in use in Germany utilises insulated cladding panels that are fixed to the outside walls.

Reply to
Bookworm

Stone cladding, for that classy look.

Zoinks !

Reply to
Zoinks

The message from Zoinks contains these words:

Oh, don't. There's a terrace of three-storey houses near us, one near the middle has been done top to bottom in cladding - the rest are still brick. Gawd it looks vile.

Reply to
Guy King

There was a cracking one in Woking, the owner had applied every single item of stick on tat from the catalogues. "Stone" cladding made from real plastic, UPVC windows with a fake wood grain, fibreglass porch, columns, and a doric portico. Then he'd filled the garden with concrete and plastic statues.

It had to be seen to be appreciated in all its hideousness.

Reply to
Steve Firth

some useful information here

Reply to
Alex

Shitkicker, I agree. Was it Lord Hall's house?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I once saw a makeover of a house. The house was in a great location, but downright ugly and neglected. The owner bought it cheap. He cavity filled, external cladding and USA style of Spruce cladding. Wooden triple glazed low "e" windows, over 12" of loft insulation. He even dug around the perimeter (he did extensive landscaping as well) and inserted foam insulation against the foundation walls and back filled. A new highly insulated front door with no letter box, with a nice smart porch too. I believe his heating bills were very low too. I think he also filled in the floor from wooden to solid inserting insulation under the concrete, as per a modern house. He even had a number of solar panels on the roof.

The roof was stripped of the old tiles and the eves extended to give large overhangs giving a classy Continental look. The place looked fantastic. It cost him around £30,000 in all and that was also including a new kitchen and bathrooms with new en-suite added. It added about £150-200,000 to the price.

It was the sort of house that turned heads. The secret was the roof, extending and giving large overhangs.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from Steve Firth contains these words:

Did it all light up at Christmas?

Reply to
Guy King

But it was your house.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Did christmas start in September?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It did.

It once featured in "Traditional Homes" - in the section reserved for hideous alterations to houses, it was after all a good Victorian villa under the tat. IIRC it was on Monument Road, I used to pass it on my way to my place of work on Albert Drive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Such wit.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think you have fond 'Chez Drivel'

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It the snotty uni's pad. He says words like "groovy".

Reply to
Doctor Drivel