External Gas Pipes

I need to replace an existing run of 15mm gas pipe with 22mm. It runs from an external meter box, around 4m along the outside wall of a bungalow (a couple of feet from the ground), then vertically upwards, then through the wall. I will sleeve it where it goes through the wall, in line with usual standards.

The existing pipe, installed by the Gas Board in 1986, is bare copper: is this still acceptable? The wall is not in an exposed location, and is not accessible to public or casual visitors, or vehicles. If bare copper is no longer recommended, would covering it with something like BES Part No 10865 be OK? I think Denso would be unacceptable visually. I'd prefer not to use the plastic-covered stuff if there's any alternative.

Reply to
Autolycus

Bare copper is acceptable, you must use clips which keep the pipe away form the wall (to prevent corrosion) and clips which have locking caps.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I believe many new properties use plastic stuff that does not require earth bonding of the meter.

Reply to
whitely525

There is a problem in some areas with external copper pipework being stolen for the scrap value of the copper.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I believe many new properties use plastic stuff that does not require earth bonding of the meter.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I believe many new properties use plastic stuff that does not require earth bonding of the meter.

Regulations do not permit plastic/polythene pipe to be used in installation pipework.( that is pipework after the meter) . You may be getting confused with plastic coated copper or stainless steel which would still require to be bonded near the meter.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

In message , andrew@a17.?.invalid writes

Like the poor chapitos of N Beds who lost their overhead phone lines over xmas ...

for the second time in 6 months

Reply to
geoff

The scrotes will find it. The press reports give the impression it is like gold as they often report the cost of damage - a confused immigrant will interpret this as "value of pipes"

Reply to
John

In article , Heliotrope Smith writes

Oh dear! Maybe that explains why our plumber was sent on a two week refresher course after CORGI inspected our installation.

The underground part of the *installation pipework* is in yellow 25mm? bore plastic threaded through elephant trunk duct (supplied by British Gas).

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

installation

Of course you are right.

The second that I hit the send button I knew that someone would come up with that one.

I will put on dunces cap and sit in the corner.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not here! - this is my corner. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

Underground gas mains and services are plastic but the joints are fused.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Is that just for outside use? I've a pipe indoors with copper saddles which is flush with the wall. I can't see it getting corroded where it is.

Reply to
<me9

Bzzzt!

BS6891 (1998) "Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to

28 mm (R1) in domestic premises (2nd family gas)"

says: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

6.5.2 Polyethylene installation pipework and fittings shall only be used for exterior installation pipework. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" and:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

9.2.2.1 External buried pipework shall be of polyethylene, or factory sheathed copper or steel. """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Reply to
John Stumbles

That is outside. The pipe must not be capable of being pulled from the wall by children. Best to paint the copper pipe to prevent corrosion.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

Yes. Nobody told us why.

This was back in 1995. AFAIK they did not ask for anything to be changed.

I think, from experience, the boiler sizing is inadequate but may have been decided on the largest wall mounted unit available at the time. From comments in here, I now know that some copper piping was buried directly in the floor screed (he ran out of hessian sleeving).

Pipe joints were formed by enlarging one bore to form a sliding fit and then soldered but we do not seem to have any leaks.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Very standard practice with a pipe flaring tool - "make your own end-feed without having to pay for a fitting". Also only no hidden soldering facing away from you and only one solder feed per joint. Probably better overall!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

More common in Aircon than wet plumbing systems, for some reason.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

because they braze it.

Reply to