external data cable

Use a bit of conduit and standard cable. Seal with foam if fussy.

No isue in linking since e=ethernet is balanced mode and not earthed anywy: yiucanalos get isloatio baluns if you are worried.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gosh: you had better tell BT that, since most of the country is fed by copper cables in excess of a kilometer long.

Underground copper is totally fine: you wont get gigabit speeds, but should get 100Mbps, and if worried abut comon mode voltage stuff, use baluns.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:16:14 +0100 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Gosh: I never knew that [1].

See my last thirteen words. I will expand on my last thirteen words by saying that one of the items included in a telephone master socket is a surge arrestor which adds (a little) to the cost compared to a secondary socket. The reason this is included is as a precaution against one of the things others mentioned by other people.

Nice try, but you have made a fool of yourself again. Whether you want to continue to do so is up to you.

[1] note for the stupid, there is a fair degree of sarcasm in those words.
Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj wrote this:-

I find this statement difficult to reconcile with your earlier one that, "The route i would like to take requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about 70m inluding going around walls etc."

Is there really no way of doing a shorter run, even if it means digging up some concrete or going under a wall? A lot of the problems people have mentioned become less as the distance between buildings reduces.

Reply to
David Hansen

Overhead phone lines use a GDT at each end. The cost of adding one is trivial, and theyre widely available (remove from a phone socket). The cost of a cut price version (a spark gap) is zero.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj wrote this:-

It isn't hard. Four ways of doing so have been offered; radio, fibre, internal grade twisted pair protected by a duct and outdoor grade twisted pair. There are others but one of those four should be suitable and all should work. All have their particular strengths and weaknesses, which the sensible have put forward arguments for and against.

It is up to you to consider all this information/opinion and decide for yourself. Only you know the two buildings.

I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the way some of the usual suspects may imagine), but I may have come to a different solution if looking at your two buildings.

Reply to
David Hansen

AIUI The soviet bloc never abandoned valves like we did. I forget the reasons why. They came up with the valve IC in the late 80s, something the west would never even attempt.

I gather soviet goods were always low ticket items here because there were simply so many problems with them. New goods needed testing and often repair and refinishing, the businesses that handled them were less than reassuring, and of course the various consumer fashions that sell so many goods here were completely ignored, with goods routinely looking like something out of the 50s or 60s.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

furthest end away from each other of each building (does that make sense?!).

Reply to
pj

They stand up much better to the effects of EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) from nuclear explosions..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , pj scribeth thus

If you want to user Radio then I'd recommend 5.8 Ghz point to point equipment's from Solwise.

NOC 8610 over that range .. they'll do very well and I very much doubt that they'd be interfered with as there is a part of then band for fixed point to point links..!..

Avoid 2.4 Ghz waay too crowed these days unless your out in the sticks.

Or armoured direct bury can be had from 2 quid a metre, might be cheaper then cable plus duct..

Or ordinary CAT 5 outdoor grade might be better longer term in a duct, which will get water in it unless its very well connected on the joins.

Make sure that the ends are well sealed and the mice don't get in there or else good by cables the barstards will go thorough standard cables with no bother..

Advisable to get the draw rope in as you lay it, rather difficult to push through that distance;!..

Should worry about lightning and isolation. Not too much of a problem underground. The PC will have an isolated switch mode power unit and will be earthed as will your shed one and CAT 5 is on isolators in most cards etc..

Reply to
tony sayer

To keep workers employed at all cost. It was thus in the old days. Valves were largely hand assembled so very labour intensive - semiconductors not.

Rightly so I'd guess. ;-)

I bought a Rigonda radiogram in the '60s. All valve. And most of the valves had a very poor life. Replacing them with Mullard etc sorted it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or something like

should manage 10m with ease even with the APs indoors.

Reply to
dennis

Eco-friendly carrier pigeon?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Fooking things are anything but friendly to the paint on my car. Took ages to get the s**te off this morning. I'm going to cut that tree down...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At the moment, it's swallows here. They seem to love garages and hate classic cars.

Reply to
Steve Firth

At least the local 'super-territorial' male blue-tit seeoms to be occupied elsewhere. For a couple of months he was hanging onto the car doors and headbutting the rear-view mirrors - and, judging by the evidence he left behind, getting very, very upset !

The joys of living in the country

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

You should worry. The male pheasant who lords it over my garden spent a lot of time adoring/attacking himself in the French windows, and he's a slack-bowelled sod.

Reply to
Huge

Did he knock all seven shades out?

Reply to
dennis

On Mon, 19 May 2008 04:15:02 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj wrote this:-

I see. In that case it may make sense to adopt a mixed solution, with internal cables going to the walls nearest to the other building and something else to bridge the gap.

What does the gap consist of? How easy would it be to dig something under the ground? Are there any obstructions to a radio link using directional aerials?

How easy would it be to run a data cable through each building, perhaps in a loft?

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 19 May 2008 04:12:11 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

I have a soviet made moving coil meter. Well made and robust. The leads would frighten modern "safety" people, but are fine as long as one treats them with respect.

Reply to
David Hansen