External alarm cable and BS4737

We have an overhead alarm cable which runs between the two buildings at our site. The cable runs from just below the roof of the two-storey building to the base of the chimney breast on the single storey building. It is protected in conduit attached to a metal catinery cable.

My query is that the conduit hasn't been run right up the brickwall of the two-storey building and does this constitute a violation of BS4737?

There is a gap of about 10cm where the cable isn't protected, whereas on the single storey building the cable enters the building via a circular JB and is fully protected.

You help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

-- Alex Harris Remove NEWS to reply

Reply to
Alex H

Is this carrying mains? Most alarms are low voltage so no regs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Power wiring regs maybe but there are several that relate to alarm wiring.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

DIY alarms probably aren't fitted in accordance with the standards or even with regard to correct siting of PIRs etc.

If you want a monitored system and police response having false alarms is a big no-no now. ISTR three false alarms in a rolling 12 month period and the police won't bother at all and it puts a black mark against the alarm company. I think there is also now a requirement for monitored systems to be able to report to the monitoring station which sensors have been triggered and in which order and needing at least two separate but logically connected sensors to be triggered as well. For example the PIR in a room and a door contact of that room. There may even be a requirement to be able to listen to the property to verify the alarm.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are two offenders near me which go off at least twice a month. And both are pro installations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Still doesn't protect against idiot users though.

Expanding foam is quite good. B-)

It was used on the local Co-ops bell box last year. How they managed to get it in without raising suspicion is beyond me, said bell box is in the center of a plain wall (no windows, drain pipes etc) and a good

25' above the ground. This wall faces a large open area in the middle of the town. I guess every one is tucked up in bed in the wee small hours up here. Plenty of people live and overlook this open space.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote | "Dave Liquorice" writes: | > Expanding foam is quite good. B-) | > It was used on the local Co-ops bell box last year. How they | > managed to get it in without raising suspicion is beyond me,

They got some bright yellow overalls, wrote "ADT" on the back in blue paint, and went up a ladder in broad daylight?

| I saw a picture of a dutch Gatso with expanding foam oozing out | of every tiny gap in the casing...

Isn't killing gatsos a Dutch national sport?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nice idea but those chaps where chipping bits of box and foam of the wall after the event.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A break beam switch of some sort I believe.

I don't think this one has but I would expect it to have a monitored alarm anyway. The bell box would just be there to alert the locals who might take action pending the arrival of the police, this could be the best part of an hour assuming they had some one available to attend straight away simply due to the distance they'll have to drive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice