Exterior Wood filler

Page 1 of 3
I have an old sash window that has just shown signs of rot. A cavity has appeared in the wood frame. This will have to be done properly by replacing a section of the frame in the summer or so. What type of filler could I use to see it through the next 6 to 9 months? Anyone have any ideas?

Is this a joke or are you even more of a tit than I thought?

has
replacing
use
Do you mean I should not use a filler? How strange!

============================If you read his posting properly you will see the light. ;o)
Get some dry wall plaster this goes hard as nails but rember to paint over it
IMM wrote:

Car body filler (styrene resin filled with either aluminium or polymer powder) will do a good job of sticking to pretty much anything as long as it's dry. You can subsequently sand and fill it.
--
Grunff

And I thought you lived in a modern super insulated house. Something else you've made up?
For a repair to only last a few months, I'd use mortar. Car body filler - Isopon etc - is better, but not worth the expense for such a short time.
--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Cheap from trade outlets. 10 for 3.5kgs with 4 tubes of hardener.

And a handful of sand and cement costs...?
--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Bugger all and, as a wood filler, you would get what you had paid for.

Since it's only got to last a few months I can't see the point in spending money. Perhaps you've got more than me. So saying, IMM is good at spending other's money, so perhaps I should be recommending a gold inlay.
--
*You! Off my planet!

And this from a man who owns a house in Balham. I thought you lot were all millionaires :-)

spending
Yes! Balham is gateway to the south.
IMM wrote:

Its the gateway to Hell.

No, that's the front entrance at IKEA.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

I stand corrected :)

Ahh - but I was born in Aberdeen. And I won't tell you how much my house cost in '74 since many will just have had their lunch.
Still say a drop of mortar will be fine for a few months - I did a quick patch to the door frame where it went into the base on the outside loo with this once, and it lasted rather more than that. ;-)
--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk typed:

After the first Boom, so if it was in a (then) nice part about 20k. I bought my first house, in Battersea for 4k guess the year ?

Don't think there was a 'nice' part of Balham then at least in estate agent terms - that's how I could afford to buy. But you're miles out - too high.

Well, mine cost 1750 when it was first sold by the then landlord after WW2, and house inflation was fairly slow until the '60s so I'd guess at early '60s.
--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk typed:

I was thinking of the Nightingale lane boarders, some nice houses round there even then.

You did well then.

Close, 67 sold it a few years later and bought a 13 bedroom Pile-os in Notting Hill. when that area was *most* undesirable. (but rooms were easy to let):) .Would have been nice to have stayed and had Madonner as a neighbour. (not)

I'm on the other side of the tracks from there, close to the small common. But regard the Nightingale as my local since the Hope is now full of kids.
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*